Fabric Firearms

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ran440, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ran440

ran440 New Member

Hey all
    Trying to learn a little about this firearm. It says Fabric firearms and believe it is a 7MM. I've search the internet with no luck.
    Thanks for any help,
    Randy

Attached Files:

2. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Hi

Cant tell from the pics but think it may read Fabrique Armes a Belgian Manufacturer

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Go over to the INTRO section and let everyone know a little about yourself and you answers will come.
    I believe it is Fabrique De arms 7mm Mauser.

Try this:Nouvelle page 0

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  4. ran440

ran440 New Member

Took a couple more pics.
    Any idea as to the age?
    Thanks,
    Randy

Attached Files:

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Might try the Curio and Relics section.

Gave all I knew about it.

6. ran440

ran440 New Member

After doing more poking around, I think I can eliminate military.

7. Wambli

Wambli Member

You shouldn't. That is a Fabrica de Armas Oviedo Spanish Mauser, an old military rifle. It was sporterized sometime in the past. The marks on the receiver before the bad polishing job should have looked like this.
    [​IMG]

8. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Yep

Thanks Wambli that was my original thought is it the 1930s model.

9. ran440

ran440 New Member

Wow! nice pic.
    The reason it is in such rough shape is that it went through a flood. Was rusted sooooo bad the only way I could clean it up was to blast it. Figured it was better than just trashing it.
    I used to do insurance repairs and this is how I acquired it.
    Randy

10. Wambli

Wambli Member

Ok then it could not be helped. In any case it is definitely a Spanish Mauser. Do you remember what year was stamped on the receiver?

If you do just start typing "Fabica de Armas Oviedo Mauser" in Google and a bunch of date options will pop up. Lots of info on them out there.

11. Spinner

Spinner New Member

Fabric De Armas

I recently purchased what i believe is the same rifle, im having some difficulties figuring out what caliber it is. I was told it was a .308 but after reading different articles, it could be a number of diff. calibers... I dont really want it to blow up in my face. The date is a 1943 with a 4-digit serial number, I've read that in the '50s the calibers were converted. Please help with any suggestions.

P.S.
    The rifle very closely resembles the one that started the thread, but with the original stock and hand guard.

12. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Take it to qualified smith and ask him to do a chamber cast, after that he'll be able to tell you what caliber it is.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Spinner- what you have been told is (bluntly) immaterial. Unless the rifle has been stamped with the caliber, the only CERTAIN way to determine it's caliber is to have a gunsmith make a chamber casting. A special material called Cerrosafe is melted, poured into the chamber, let cool, pop out the casting, measure it with a micrometer, compare measurements to known cartridges.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a 1936 Spanish short rifle. I have two. Small ring Mauser action. 7 x 57 Mauser caliber.