Eyesight & sighting

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mtdineen, Apr 11, 2012.

1. mtdineen

mtdineen New Member

I finally get into handguns for recreation & self defense, and wouldn't you know, my near vision is going bad. My dilemma is I can see the target perfectly, but the 3 dot sights on my XD are blurry. Put on my readers and the opposite happens. So how do others handle this?

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

You want the front sight blade to be clear. So I would keep the readers on or try lasik, it worked for me.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

As above the front sight is your focal point. Same with rifles using open sights.

With experience through shooting thousands and thousands of rounds i shoot handguns the same way i shoot my longbow i focus on the target and everything lines up. This works well for minute of badguy at close range.

Pinpoint shooting requires focus on the front sight everything thing else should be a bit blurry

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

What I do is prime both front and rear sights with white paint.

Then use a little "Glow-On"(strontium phosphorescent) on the

front sight, and your favorite bright nail polish or spray

paint on the rear. Be sure to mask everything else very carefully.

When your vision blurs out the rear sights, you should

still have the colored spots to maintain your field of

focus through the front sight to the target.

And it won't cost you an arm and a leg...

5. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

When shooting a handgun, alway focus on the sights. The target will be blurred. This is normal. When I first began to use reading glasses, it was difficult until my eye doctor suggested a pair of intermediate glasses. Reading glasses focus on a book held near to you, not at arms length. Example: when you get in your car and put on reading glasses the insturment panel is out of focus. Itermediated glasses would make all in focus. Intermediate glasses works well for both rifle and handgun shooting. Get a pair of glasses that keeps things in focus 24 to 30 inches away. You can have your eye doctor prescribe them, or you can buy them at a drug store. Hope this info helps.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. mtdineen

mtdineen New Member

Thanks for the thoughts! I'll keep practicing and focus on that front dot & see how I fare. God shootin all.

7. kycol

kycol New Member

I think therewolf is on target here. I recently held a gun my coworker was showing me that had these fiber optic type orange and yellow glow sights and was surprised how fast I could sight it. I tried some fluorescent paint on the sights of my muzzle loaded it worked great.

8. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Just out plinking or shooting for fun is one thing, but practicing for self defense is another. What are the chances that when something bad goes down, you'll be wearing your reading glasses? In the event of having to defend yourself & you don't have your glasses, you are going to need to hit the target without being able to focus your sights. That's where practice of 'point & shoot' comes in, not using the sights at all. That is the only time at the range that I consider 'practice'. The rest of it is just for fun.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Paint is cheap, and color selections are limitless.

For a brighter, easier to see sight, paint the sight white first,

and your choice color will be much more visible that way.

10. mtdineen

mtdineen New Member

I think I'm going to cover the front white dot with a couple dabs of Glow-On Super phosphorescence paint (original color) & leave the rear dots white.