Eye Safety

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by jgoertz, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Here's a pic of my right eye.

I was at the range Wed. I was wearing my Ray-Ban prescription shooting glasses. When I fired my 1911, the brass bounced of the lane divider and jammed into the space between the glasses frame and my eye. It took a
    second or two to get it out and it caused 2nd degree burns. No damage to the eye but hurt like hell. the eye itself t

Attached Files:

2. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

Close call there. One in a million there. Hopefully just cosmetic not permanent damage.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A rare occurence, but anything can happen.

Thank you for the reminder.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Probably not as rare as you think. That is the second time I have seen that on this forum. The other one didn't turn out so well.

5. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I am glad your ok.. But look at it this way chicks dig scars !!

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe more of a wrap-around style eyewear would be better?

I was thinking "that will be a cool scar to draw the chickadees".

7. john300k

john300k New Member

That is why I always wear a ball cap, plus it protects my bald head too...

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My buddy was shooting next to me and we were shooting out to 300 yards on steel shooting prone this past summer and all of a sudden I heard him screaming and squirming around , nothing like hot brass down your ass crack from a 4 o'clock eject :D

9. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

At almost 70 years old, I'm not too concerned with what draws the chicks.

You are right OG, wraparounds would be better, although in this case the brass came at me at a high angle from above and I don't know if they'd help.

I had cataracts removed and implants put in about six weeks ago and I'm still finding my way as far as what to use for shooting. The implants are great for distance vision but not for near. If I wear glasses that let me see my front sight, the target is very blurred. Bifocals don't work. So far single vision Ray-Ban style with +1.5 diopter seem to be the best compromise. I know there are other things to try and my BIL is an optometrist but even "at cost", the expense can be significant.

Here is my target set from 2 days ago. Fifteen yards off hand, Les Baer .45 Thunder Ranch. Not too bad, but could be better. I use Shoot-N-See targets and stick them onto used targets so that is where some of the other holes come from.

10. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Oops here's the pic!

Attached Files:

11. orangello

orangello New Member

You are never too old to have some fun. :D

Maybe the baseball cap idea would be as much help as the wrap-style glasses. Of course, wearing a full face shield from a chemistry class would be full protection, but that might impair my enjoyment of the sport.

Nice shootin on the targets.

12. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

You know OG, I think you hit on it, I don't wear hats, so I didn't even think of that!

Thanks

13. orangello

orangello New Member

A cowboy hat could provide even wiiiiiider protection and look cool for the ladies checking out the scar.
    :D

I may have to find me a nice hat for my next trip shooting.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

That is why I wear one of these when I am shooting. If you think that hurt let a piece of hot brass get inside your shirt. I might look goofy but I have only been burned once. I have nice realtree hat I will part with for $15. It is new!

[​IMG]

15. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Oh, I have had brass go down my shirt and yes it hurts, but this scared me.

ROFLOL: I am picturing the dancing around and whooping from the brass down the back of the pants.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm thinkin that chicks won't dig that dude's scar nearly as much. :D

17. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I don't lack scars: my body looks like a wreck in a train yard.

1. Surgery repair left Achilles' tendon.
    2. Lumbar metal fusion.
    3. Left knee replacement.
    4. Three long vein removals right leg for:
    5. Quadruple bypass.
    6. Hernia repairs.
    7. Three cuts left hand from table saw.
    8. Head scar from pole vaulting in school.
    9. Burn on left thigh.

If scars draw the chicks, I guess that's why the Saints' Cheerleaders are breaking down my door. :)

18. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Sorry, 300k, I didn't see your post 'til after OG's. I think the ball cap is a good idea. I feel kind of dumb for not using one. 'Specially since I'm getting bald.

I already have a cowboy hat. I look pretty goofy in it.

19. shadamai

shadamai New Member

That happened to me once, except it was a little bit further away from my eye. The brass got caught where the earpiece meets the front of the glasses. Once the scab came off, it healed very quickly and now I have no scar at all. Hopefully yours will turn out similarly.

20. john300k

john300k New Member

Irony is so Ironic, went to the range today (wearing my ballcap) and was shooting my M&P 15-22 and a spent cartidge hit the bill and bounced behind my classes and burned my cheek. Not a bad burn, but that is the first time it ever happened to me...WTF over.