Eye Relief Problem

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Rentacop, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

I mounted a Leupold Rimfire Scope on my Ruger 77/22, using the Ruger scope rings . The Ruger rings attach directly to the rifle without a scope mount .
    I mounted the scope as far to the rear as the ring mounts allow but I can't see properly without leaning my head far forward to reducw eye relief .
    Has anyone else had this problem and , if so, what is the remedy ?
    Thanks in advance for any help .

2. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

This Scope just might not work due to Ruger's Propriatary Rings because the scope mount distance around the Saddle and flare of the Objective won't allow more rearward adjustment. There have been reports of this and another Scope needed to be chosen to make work. I would choose a longer Centerfire/Rimfire Scope with either Side Focus or A/O to give what you need.

I too have a Ruger 77/22(Stainless in Magnum) so I know what you're talking about. I mounted a Simmons 44Mag(new model) in 4-12x44 w/SF and it's a great match.
    Del

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

3. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

what type of scope are you using?

4. sandog

sandog Member

rentacop, just throwing this out there, don't know if it will work with you or on your scope or not. With your scope mounted as far back as you can, try changing the focus on your eyepiece, by screwing it out some, or in if you already have it moved out. It might give you a touch more eye relief. I just put a Nikon variable long eye relief (handgun) scope on my Mini-14 in a forward scout mount. The eye relief was good on all powers up to about 7x or 8x. Then I had to do what you described, move my head up on the stock a little. I read a review on the scope where a guy said that you could "tweak" the eye relief slightly by moving the eyepiece focus in or out. It worked for me, maybe just because it was a long eye relief scope, you could give it a try.

5. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

Thanks all . I'll post whatever I find works . For the time being, I've removed the scope and gone back to the iron sights .
    The scope is a 2.5-7 power Leupold BTW ...

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

What size are you or more importantly have you ever been measured for length of pull? The stock (LOP) may be to long for you. Common problem with shooters of smaller stature or with shorter arms.

7. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

I'm 5'6" with short arms and was never measured for length of pull . I'm inclined to look for a scope mount ....

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Weigand makes a picitiny rail that will mount to a ruger 77/22 and that will allow for a bit more reward movement but you will need to buy new rings .
    http://jackweigand.com/7722s.html

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I would say the stock is at least 1" to 1.5" too long for you. A very rough guide would be the measurement from the top of your palm to the crook of your arm with your arm bent at 90 degrees. The LOP on your rifle is probably 13.5" to 14". I would look for a stock you would be willing to cut down and save the factory stock in case you want to sell the rifle some time in the future. The other alternative is to get offset rings but the rifle will never fit you correctly.

10. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

Thanks guys ! I'm putting aside the project for now and may mount the scope on one of my other .22s instead . I've got a 10/22 ...

11. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I've never used a Leupold rimfire scope but I have a 3-9 X 40 Rifleman that has more eye relief than any other scope I've ever had.