Eye glasses, safety glasses. and hearing protection

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by twitcheyfinger, May 23, 2009.

1. twitcheyfinger

twitcheyfinger New Member

I am new at FireArms Talk, and this is my first post. I am new to guns. I wear eye glasses and am looking for eye and hearing protection while firing a pistol. Should I be using wrap around safety glasses, or would eye glasses be enough protection? If more protection is needed, are wrap around safety glasses available that fit over eye glasses? And would I better off with ear plugs since the frames might break the ear muff seal? I admit my ignorance and that I've asked a lot of questions. But I want to be sure that I do things right. Thanks.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You should be looking for something with an ANSI rating of Z87.1 for the glasses. Your prescription lenses or sunglasses should be sufficient as long as they carry that "safety" rating.

As far as ears go, I've always preferred muffs, as they're quick and easy to get on and off. All muffs, even the cheapest, will conform to the proper ANSI rating.

If you prefer plugs, look at the "NRR" rating on the container and buy the highest that you can find. They're cheap, so buy a few different kinds and see what fits you best and feels most comfortable.

Many will tell you that they run double protection, but generally for shooting, it's overkill. I double up at work, but only because I work on a large hammer drill that produces sustained noise in excess of 150 dBc. You'd be hard pressed to find a gun that put out that much noise.

When I shoot, I usually wear my Smith Optics sunglasses and a pair of muffs that I paid $3ish for.

Welcome to the site. Let us know if you need anything.

Last edited: May 23, 2009

3. kcolg

kcolg New Member

Twitchey,welcome and don't worry about asking too many questions,specially on safety issues ,you don't want to go wrong with that,we are glad to help if we can......Matt G's answer probablly cleared your doubts...safe shooting...

4. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I also have eye glasses and if in a pinch I'll use them, but I have a pair of ESS ICE ballistic glasses with perscription inserts that I wore over in Afghanistan that I use for shooting here. They look a bit dorky with the clear ones, but I don't wanna take any chances with training. IIRC you can get them for about $70 with the inserts.

As for hearing I have 2 different muffs. One is a normal good quality ear muff that I use when I shoot by myself. I also have one of those ones that claim to cut out noise at a certain decible level although I found they don't work so hot in indoor ranges, so I let anyone I take with me to outdoor ranges use those so if I have to correct them I'll be sure they hear me.

5. kdog

kdog New Member

@ twitcheyfinger,

welcome here in the forum.

I wear prescription glasses aswell.

For shooting I bought myself a pair of peltor maxim/maxim ballistic safety glasses and the matching Rx insert for prescription lenses.

By using such a system, you can get diffent coloured lenses, amber, grey or clear and just need to move the Rx insert.

Ken

6. twitcheyfinger

twitcheyfinger New Member

Thanks to all for the informative replies. Kdog, I think that I will give your suggestion a try since the price sound reasonable.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I wear contacts so my safety glass requirement is satisfied with my Remington shooting glasses. (<$10 and I have several shades for in and outdoors)

1both.JPG

When it comes to hearing protection I find the ear muffs distracting and extremely HOT down here in South Florida.

I did a great deal of testing and research for an "ear plug" style substitute for the muffs. I was not having any luck and refused to pay the $500+ electronic ear plugs.

1aplug.JPG

Then I found a pair of $12 plugs made by Surefire called EAR PRO, Sonic Defenders Plus. This allows me to shoot about 90% of my handgun time sans muffs. I use both when shooting Fenrir (my 460 Rowland hand cannon) and muffs when shooting long guns outdoor.

I see the price has gone up but what hasn't? I get a sale alert every now and then that they are on sale. I got my first two pair last fall and am still using the first pair. They seem to be pretty durable and require little maintenance.

I’m a big guy but purchased the medium size because a note in the ad said the majority of users wear medium. I’m glad I did! The medium is almost too big.

Try a pair, I think you'll like them.

I think a good range bag will have both plugs and muffs. A durable set of muffs are <$20 and last you a lifetime.

EarPro EP-3 Sonic Defenders®- EP3 from SureFire

Surefire | EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus Earplugs | EP4-MPR | B&H

Surefire EP4 EarPro Sonic Defenders Plus EP4-LPR

8. matt g

Where's my royalty check for the use of my 'Fenrir' idea?

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

10. matt g

You've been editing threads again, haven't you? :D

Just to keep things on topic, what's the NRR on those plugs? I usually just steal ear plugs from work. They've got a 33 dBA NRR, but they don't hold up to Northern Cali's heat well, when locked in a Jeep for weeks at a time.

11. kdog

kdog New Member

Just keep an eye out.
    They sold me a wrong Rx insert, that couldn`t be clipped onto the safety frame correctly. After a complain at peltor (3M) I received two Rx inserts, that fit perfectly.

Just wantto say, have the optomotrist show you, how to clip in the Rx frame. If it dosn`t fit snug on the frame, complain about it.

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Welcome, Twitchey,
    I highly recommend wrap-around glasses, as I've been the recipient of a couple of bullet fragments which made it back to the firing line, and either one of them was more than capable of wrecking an eyeball. The one in my chin was just smaller than my fingernail, and the one in my neck was smaller. Whatever the reason, hot, heavy slivers of metal are absolutely capable of making it into your body, so protect yourself.

13. matt g

I had a Ma Deuce KB on me. My Oakley Fives saved both of my eyes. I became a firm believer in wearing eye protection while shooting that day.

14. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Matt, you are lucky to be alive. You can't get worse than having a .50 KB on you (unless you get creative).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ZrJesyAlg]YouTube - M2 TEST BROWNING 50. MG[/ame]

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, run a google search for OTS safety glasses. OTS is the abbreviation for "Over the Specs"- safety glasses with side shields that fit over your regular glasses.

As far as the temple bar breaking the seal of muffs- my muffs have a seal soft enough to conform very well over my safety glasses. For VERY loud weapons, I do use plugs and muffs- but that is because I have seen the results of my audiograms, and I'm getting too old to learn sign language.

BTW, a 150 dB hammer drill? Good LORD! John Henry Rock drill is not quite THAT bad! Get some distance between you and that thing if you can! Even with good plugs and good muffs, you can only get about 38-39 dB attenutation- it will run you over the limit in a very few minutes.

16. mm22176

mm22176 New Member

17. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I used my .50 cal certification as substantiation for my CC permit. Headspace, timing...... :eek: