EXTREME!!! AR-15 Dirt Test

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by ranger_sxt, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipghcp929I]YouTube - CAV-15 Dirt/Dust Test Camera 1[/ame]

2. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

Youtube. Until it came along, I have no idea that there were so many fat guys who never served in the military yet still consider themselves qualified to try to argue with or otherwise school men who were/still are. :rolleyes:

Seriously though--why is almost every guy with a gun on Youtube a fatbody? Can someone explain that to me? :confused:

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Take a Springfield M-14/M1A, M1Garrand, or AK bury the rifle in pea soup mud for about a month dig it up shake it out clear barrel for safety and shoot. They near will always shoot. Try that test with a AR action and see what you get.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

WOW, a dirty AR that shoots!

This guy needs to spend some time in the sandbox instead of utube.

That's just dis-respect for your weapon. Obviously more money that brains.

What was that our resident philosopher said?

"The stupid it burns."

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Fixed it for you....

JD

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Uhhh......JD......ummmm........check Tango's siggy?

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Right. Tango. As the source for punctuation and grammar?

Okay.

Have it your way.... :rolleyes:

JD

8. Grey

Grey New Member

Too much money and too much bacon.
    They can afford food and guns...its just plain weird.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No, not the source for punctuation and grammar, the source for the quote.

What was that our resident philosopher said?

"The stupid it burns." ​

JD, you got your monthly visitor?

10. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

In this case, the tester (Sinistral_Rifleman) is qualified because he has put more rounds down-range in a 5 day class than my entire company in the Army did in one year. Every weekend he is shooting some sort of competition. He is invited annually to the Ft. Benning 3-gun match by the Army Marksmanship Unit. He has a lot of trigger time, and finds the arguments that ARs are unreliable or finicky to be complete falsehoods perpetuated by people who buy bottom of the barrel crap or do not clean or lube their rifles.

And as far a being "fat," he would still pass the Army's taping...

What exactly would that prove? What sort of situation would you find yourself in that you need to dig your gun out of a mud puddle weeks later?

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

The same thing that a Youtube video of throwing dirt on a rifle proves.

The real test is taking the rifle into the desert for a year and out on patrol in real world situations.

12. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8SSQ_wIG4o]YouTube - AR Dirt/Dust Test Dust Cover Open, Run Over[/ame]

13. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo5WhVvtYak]YouTube - AK Dirt/Dust Test[/ame]

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I watched your OP vid the other day. I was not too surprised to see that the M4 worked while dusty. Mine always have. Plus, this seemed to be a relatively new, top of the line carbine (which should be expected to be reliable) not one that may have seen better days, with possibly years of questionable maintenance.

In my experience, malfunctions with the AR/M16 platform are almost always magazine related. But I keep mine squeeky clean and lubed, too. With decent ammo and my magazines I have 100% faith that all of mine will work.

But in the real world good magazines can be hard to come by. Aluminum M16 mags are rated by the military as "single use", but are often reused for years. Eugene Stoner said they were designed to be used for no more than 30 complete loading cycles. They are disposable and wear out quickly, especially when run hard.

This is why the HK mags are so highly sought after in A&I. They are far more durable, being made of steel, than standard aluminum GI mags.

What I don't like about AR's is the "twang", and the fact that a bent/broken buffer tube makes it a lightweight club.

But the platform has always been reliable for me.