Extraction

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sigman84, Feb 1, 2014.

1. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

OK well I went and put a mag through the AR out here in the snow to make sure she functions and after about 10-12 rounds it stopped extracting. Went and applied thin coat of lube to certain areas of the bolt where I could see that it rides and a thin film in chamber. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

O and also earlier today when I took it to gunsmith to have it once overed before I shot it to make sure all was kosher he did a light fill of penetrating oil and then wiped down a few seconds after.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Steel or brass?

4. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Brass cased 223. Using pmags

5. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Ya empty cases are getting stuck

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Why will a mag affect the extraction? Check the extractor spring and extractor. Insure the hook of the extractor is not cracked/broken. Factory extractor springs are crap. Get a good one from sawlesales.com or sprinco.com. A good extractor spring will NOT let go of the case.

7. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Well its a brand new bcg from bcm so I wouldnt think the extractor would be bad.

8. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

also may have just found the culprit. Gas block had come loose a bit. Will take back out and test in the morning before the game and report back.

9. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Gonna hit it with some loctite to make sure that doesn't happen again.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Light oils don't work well in good weather especially junk oils like rem oil. In cold weather its sometimes worse than nothing.

I use 30 weight non-detergeant motor oil for gun lube. It doesn't breakdown under thermal abuse and doesn't freeze.

You really need to learn to service your firearms rather than having someone else do it. I would suggest the army marine field manual on the m4 carbine its close enough to the ar15 to be usable. Can't link up to a pdf from this device but some kind soul I'm sure will.

11. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Well I just took it to him since I just finished the build to make sure. I'm plenty confident in working on my own firearms.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Having the gas block come loose would definitely increase the probability of short stroking. Just make sure that when you set it, that the rear edge of the gas block is not sitting fully against the shoulder of the barrel behind the gas port.

13. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

OK. Will do.

14. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

OK. Well I adjusted the gas block and made sure everything was lined up about as perfectly as I could get it. And it still isn't extracting. The bolt itself isn't blowing back either. Seems like the spent shell is just staying stuck as though its not shrinking after the expansion seal when round is fired off.

15. BRL

BRL New Member

Is your chamber rough or any burrs present?

You might try to polish it up to see if it helps.

16. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

I'll check and see if I can feel in there. What should I use to polish it?

17. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

What brand of barrel is it? I have a SOTA arms 300 BLK barrel that would short stroke like crazy. It would at least kick out the empty but not pick up a second round. Spent cases were extremely rough.Took the barrel out of the upper and the chamber was phosphated real heavy. I took a empty case drilled out the primer pocket so I could put a cleaning rod with a brush to hold the shell. I the used a dremmel to cut a slot in the case. Then started with a piece of 400 grit sand paper put into the slot and wrapped around shell. Lubricated paper with gun oil. Chucked cleaning rod in a cordless drill and proceed to clean inside of chamber. I did this with 400, 600, 800 and 1200 grit paper. Chamber went form extremely rough to polished up with just a bit of work.

This was also the last time I bought a completed upper..... Everyone that I have built have cycled perfectly. But on them I know exactly what parts I have in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

18. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Its a Daniel defense 16 inch carbine length gas system.

19. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Wow! I would not expect any issues out of a Daniel Defense barrel!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Me either. That's the main reason I went with them. Sometime this week I will try and get around to taking the barrel off and check the chamber on it. I also have my full build thread so you guys can go through that and look at the parts list as well.