Extra BCG - or Just Bolt?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mudpupp, May 9, 2013.

1. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I have an extra BCG.
    Do you recommend taking the whole thing to the range or just putting the bolt and firing pin inside my Magpul MIAD grip instead of CR123a Batteries for my EOTech XPS-2
    (I have both inserts)

If you recommend the entire thing, what do you carry yours in. Is there a hard plastic container designed for a BCG

As always, my thanks in advance

Mud

[​IMG]

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Who the heck carries an extra BCG (to the range)? Or even a bolt!? Just OWNING a spare bolt is pretty rare and advanced as a spare part.

Bolt.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

At this time I have a spare BCG but since I also have a spare complete lower I expect another upper is in my future. I wouldn't take a spare BCG to the range unless I was testing it.

If you were bugging out then a spare bolt in the MIAD is a thought...

One of my BCGs came in a thick paper tube with plastic caps so I keep the spare in that. You might find something like that at an office supply store or UPS, etc.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I keep a spare bolt complete on hand as well as a set of gas key screws and a gas key.

Everytime i buy a bcg complete a new rifle seems to spring up around it.

5. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

What are some good parts to keep on hand for back up only? Just Incase something fails.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

If I've got to bug out my spare parts are a second complete, scoped, and zero'd, Upper with a 22" free floated Black Hills Weaponry barrel.

Love my 16" LMT w/EOTECH for close work but the flexibly of "reaching out" beyond 200 yards with certainty should come in handy. ;)

Tack

7. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well, bolt and firing pin problems are a little more common than carrier problems, assuming your gas key was properly staked and the gas tube aligned with the gas key.

Take a spare bolt and firing pin.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  9. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Thanks for the link. Looks like something I should add to my next Midway purchase.

And yes, I always have a spare complete BCG. Right now I have 4 extras in fact.