External extractors and your phobia about them

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by porkchops, Jun 13, 2012.

1. porkchops

porkchops New Member

I own just two guns. A SIG Ultra Compact 1911 3.3" barrel and a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry 3" barrel.

Put a blind fold on and you wouldn't know a dam difference. Well you would but you know what I mean. But for some reason people swear by only the internal extractor 1911s. But they have no real reason for such devotion.

If your only reason is because "that's how John Moses Browning made it" you're missing out on some good guns.

You are not your extractor.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I agree but it is John Moses Browning not "Jim Browning.

3. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

4. Mark58103

Mark58103 New Member

This sounds like a sequel to the infamous "decocker" thread.

5. porkchops

porkchops New Member

You could be right. But that isn't the intention. Just got into a discussion about the topic today and the guy was like well that's the way it is blah blah blah.

So I thought I would put it to the forums.

6. cuba

cuba New Member

It's not a question whether the exterior extractor functions adequately, but of personal preference, the purist as some might call us, myself included feel that the exterior extractor is an answer to a non existent problem, not taking into account that Kimber tried them and had to revert to the original design because of malfunction with their exterior extractor, thats all. Like they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but good for you if you prefer the exterior extractor, and good blind fold argument, but no bites here

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i just look at as the external being a cheap cost cutting measure making it easier to make a gun that runs ok. it takes some hand fitting and more difficult machining to make the cuts on the slide for the internal extractor.

putting an external extractor on a 1911 is kinda like...
    a rolls royce lowrider. it will get ya point a to b but in very bad taste

[​IMG]

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i don't see a problem with an external extractor, but from a personal preference i would rather have the original internal extractor. many other pistol designs have external extractors and they work just fine, but when it comes to the 1911, i am a purist and want it pretty much as it has been for over 100 years.

9. m72law

m72law New Member

makes me wanna throw-up @ this rollz royce LR. thanks to the single carb Blower w/out the straight port injection :D :confused: poor car:(

10. gollygee

gollygee New Member

An external extractor on a 1911 would not be a deal stopper for me as long as the pistol manufacturer had a tract record of his working. But, those with internal extractors will be above it on my wish list. I didn't know Kimber still used an external as mine has internal. I'd read that they tried them, had problems & went back to internal. Guess that is wrong.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

No real problem with the external, but the internal is a lot easier to clean gunk out of.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

They don't bother me. I don't own one with an external currently, but if that was the only thing standing in the way of a gun I just had to have, I think I could over look it. Personally, I'd rather have an external extractor than front cocking serrations on a gun.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Kimber did have external for a bit but they had massive issues with fail to extract. They switched back to internals.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Don't have any problem with a external extractor itself ---
    It depends on what gun its on tho ----
    Had a S&W 1911 that is still on my "wat the hell was i thinking when i traded it off" list :eek:

15. wayno148

wayno148 Member

Wonder which one I have on my Kimber CII? I assume my Dw CCO has internal cause I have not heard otherwiise, Shows how much I know about it lol

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If its external it would be very obvious so its most likely internal-

[​IMG]

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

If the slide has a cutout where the rear of chamber hits the slide on the right its external if you cant see it its internal. Most liekly yours is internal. Kimber didnt make a lotof the externals

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Sorry, I must be missing the point here. I have no emotional stake in your firearms/extractor choices. FWIW, they both work. I find external extractors unsightly. It is not a big deal, though.
    This subject has been beaten to death a number of times. I don't see this thread breaking any new ground.

Attached Files:

19. wayno148

wayno148 Member

Mines is external and have never had a problem. Thought it was but wasn't sure.

20. wayno148

wayno148 Member

No need for anything but confirmation of what I have. No need for sorry etc. just wanted to confirm what I had. Thank for the info everyone. Much appreciated and is kind of an ugly spot in my opinion also. :)