External Extractor Failure

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by LandMonster, Jul 10, 2013.

1. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

The extractor claw ripped off my Sig GSR TTT yesterday. The pistol is about 8 years old with approximately 2500 rounds through it. I was shooting Remington and AE brass and practicing shooting pairs when the failure happened.

I want to replace the part with something very hardy, although there are not a lot of options available for external extractors. Any recommendations for a replacement? I have seen a few on Brownells. Ed Brown offers a couple and so does Caspian.

Sig offered to DCIA the whole pistol, replace wear items including the extractor and some springs for $130 with shipping included. This seemed very fair for a factory overhaul but I am not sure i want another Sig extractor.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I was not aware that Ed Brown made an external extractor.

FWIW, I would let the factory do the job for that price.
    To change to a different brand of extractor may incur costs that could exceed that $130.

(Of course, you only load using a magazine. You never try to force the extractor over the rim of a cartridge in chamber.)

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

I too would let sig do it. You will get back for all practical purposes a brand new gun. Its a no brainer. 2500 rounds is a lot for nothing to have happened till now...

4. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

Here is a link to the Ed Brown extractor.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...-series-80-45-acp-sku087130200-1318-5053.aspx

The Sig extractor seemed very to be thin in the metal.

Of course I never loaded from anything other than mag.

The smith also said that the pistol has some hammer follow. I never noticed the hammer dropping to half cock ever. If that is true then there could be some additional parts that need to be replaced like a hammer. Note that the gun is factory. No bubba trigger work.

5. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Just FYI....
    Those Ed Brown extractors in your link are internal extractors (not external). Ed Brown does not make a 1911 with an external extractor (and to my knowledge does not sell or manufacture external extractors).

6. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

Going back to look at those search results and all of them are internal extractors. Does anyone make an external extractor?

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Sig, Smith & Wesson, and maybe a couple more.

You could look at replacing the slide to one with an internal extractor.

8. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Stuff breaks, it happens. Send it in and let them fix it. Sh!t happens.