Extended Semi-auto handgun storage

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Flick427, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Flick427

Flick427 New Member

Greetings!

So I just bought a new handgun, my first, and it is a semi-auto. I have to store it while I'm away at school, in another state, since it is not allowed in the rooms.

My question:
    When storing a semi-auto for an extended period of time is it better to remove the recoil spring or any other springs that are easily accessible?

Thanks!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

no.

if your worried about unauthorized usage get a gun lock from walmart or a sporting goods shop or gunstore

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Springs can be left as is. They do not lose their range of flexion from being left under compression- My 85 Ford pickup has had a load on the suspension springs since the day it rolled off the production line. Wipe it down lightly with a good preservative oil, store securely NOT in a gun rug or foam lined case (that attracts moisture)

4. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I was wondering the same thing. Is it ok to keep my extra mags loaded to capacity while its in the safe?

5. WDB

WDB New Member

The springs are fine compressed or relaxed. No need to remove them. swing by the intro page and share a bit about yourself.

6. Flick427

Flick427 New Member

Thanks for the responses.
    I was simply concerned about compressing the springs for a long period of time but based on the replies I will not worry about it so much.