Expunging a felony off record

Discussion in 'Michigan Gun Forum' started by MoparShooter, Apr 28, 2014.

1. MoparShooter

MoparShooter New Member

Hey all, new here...
    So i have a nephew that is waiting on his felony charge to be expunged (happened when he was 14 now 26), court date is this June, and I was wondering if he can legally purchase a firearm after expungement?

Btw, his felony is for "Malicious destruction of property- $1000 or more but less than $20,000".

Thank you all in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

It can be done I had a friend just recently do it and yes he owns guns now

3. MoparShooter

MoparShooter New Member

Thanks for the reply. I dont know much about this expungement stuff so your answer helps. Did your buddy have to go through anything after the expungement? Or did he just walk in a store and buy a firearm?

4. phildenton

phildenton New Member

You need to consult an attorney that handles these types of cases in your jurisdiction.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Good advise!

Every state has different procedures for restoring ones rights or even get the conviction removed. You are going to have to do some leg work to find the right attorney.

6. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

After it was expunged.
    He just walked in the store and bought one .
    first time he had to show the his paperwork showing it was expunged but since then he has bought several definitely go through a lawyer it's worth it

7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Michigan Gun Owners Forum

Legal Beagle Section

If he doesn't have an attorney, shyster is a great attorney in the detroit area, and one of the legal contributors to the forum.

8. ltcrlf

ltcrlf New Member

If it was just malicious destruction, highly unlikely it was a felony. Felons are 17 and over. Younger are juvenile offenses. Juveniles are waived to Circuit Court only for really serious stuff. Like Murder!
    Michigan lawyer of 45 yrs

9. MoparShooter

MoparShooter New Member

He had his record pulled up from the ICHAT website, and it was exactly how I wrote it. He forgot about the offense after 15+ years and decided he wanted to buy a firearm but got denied because of this incident..

10. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

How do you forget you have a felony!?

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

maybe he was hoping they forgot he had a felony and it slipped through the cracks.

12. MoparShooter

MoparShooter New Member

Just speaking on behalf of him, but I think he was 13-14 at the time? He's 29 now, so it must've slipped his mind im assuming

13. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Here, sign this and you won't go to jail.

I am surprised that he was charged as an adult at that age... for that crime there must have been some extenuating circumstances.

OP, check the forum I suggested, there are some good attorneys there that can help.

14. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Hope all goes well. We all made mistakes when we were young. Some worse than others. I know I was an idiot at that age. Get a good lawyer and he will pull his records and see if he has a good case of expungement. It's strange the felony carried after he turned 18. But if it is expunged he will be able to purchase and hold a CCW as well. I am 37 now have three kids owned two homes and haven't been in trouble since I was 19 when got into an altercation with a bouncer. I got a felony then reduced to misdemeanor. My case will not let me expunge because of the plea. If I left it a felony it could be expunged. Odd. But like your guy I actually forgot it was a felony charge. I didn't understand what was going on and had a bad lawyer. Not until I wanted a CCW did I check. I can buy handguns and rifles but not conceal carry. Lesson learned kids. Don't get into a bar fight and break a bouncers nose. The police will throw the book at you.