Explosives stolen from USFS facility near Red Lodge

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, May 2, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Everything going on in the news, this is not good!

http://www.kpax.com/mobile/news/explosives-stolen-from-forest-service-facility-near-red-lodge/

RED LODGE - The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the U.S. Forest Service, and the Carbon County Sheriff's Office are asking for help from the public in gathering information about the theft of approximately 559 pounds of high explosives from a USFS explosives bunker located near Red Lodge.

A press release from the ATF says that in April 2013, someone used forced entry to get into an explosives storage facility owned and operated by the U. S. Forest Service, which is located about two miles south of Red Lodge.

Officials say that various emulsion-type explosives, explosive cast boosters and detonating cord were taken from the facility.

"The theft of explosives is a top investigative priority for ATF. We are asking for the public's help in our effort to apprehend and convict those responsible. We are confident that someone can help identify a suspect and we encourage them to call us," ATF spokesman Ken Bray said.

A reward of up to $5,000 is being offered to anyone who provides information that leads to the recovery of the explosives and to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft.

Stealing explosives and possession of stolen explosives is a federal crime that is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the ATF hotline at 1.888.ATF.BOMB,the Billings ATF office at (406) 657.9700, or the Carbon County Sheriff's Office at (406) 446.1234.

2. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I find it funny that we just hear about this now. Since it is May, that means for the last month or less the ATFE idiots have not solved a damn thing. My bet is someone from the USFS said something about the explosives in front of the wrong person.

What surprises me is they didn't have better security measures. That is a lot of explosives.

3. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

It may be May but, it was April only 2 days ago. So the time span may be shorter than you think. No specific date given does not necessarily imply the longest span of time.

E-DUB

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Isn't Kpax the planet that "Prot" came from?:D:D

5. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

That was also my first thought :)

6. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

This is the first time I have heard about it and I live about an hour from Red Lodge. Who the hell was guarding that ****.

7. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

bears.........

8. Robert121571

Robert121571 New Member

My question is the same. Where was the security. I thought if you had large amounts of that stuff it could not be left without some one watching over it. Heck around here from what I have seen fireworks sales places have to have some one there 24/7 and what they sell here is mild compared to anything else.

9. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Bears guarding the explosive shed is like fox guarding the hen house!

Now for the update:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/vi...6/559-pounds-explosives-stolen-near-Red-Lodge

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

What exactly does the USFS use explosives for, and why so much?

I smell something bad coming.

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

That would only be stored in a guarded area here, i am surprised that it is stored unguarded in America. If people are intent on getting explosives they will get it or make it. But there is no point making it easy for them.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

We don't know how it was guarded. Im guessing that not even the UK would have armed men sanding guard at the door 24/7.

They probably had a very strong locked door, cameras, alarms, ect. I'd be interested in seeing exactly what security measures they had in place at the time, and how the thieves managed to get past them.

13. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

From time to time the USFS need to blow up old National Park Latrines to make way for new. That may be the smell you mention.

Attached Files:

14. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Ya know, in case the USFS has to deal with an unruly horde of bears.

15. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

We have 2 large oil refineries here in Billings, MT which is literally an hour from Red Lodge. Hope they catch the idiots quick, if they use those explosives on even 1 refinery it would cause a wildfire that could destroy half the city before they got it under control.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

USFS around here uses quite a bit of explosives. Road work, beaver dams in bad places, rock overhangs that are eroded and deemed a threat to often used campsites, closing old mine shafts.

There are many uses.