Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting bored of just shooting conventioal paper targets and steel targets, so i started looking for exploding rimfire targets. I have found a wide variety online but, they are all about $50 plus in price. So does anyone know of any targets that are a good bang for your buck? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I don't think you're going to find any cheap exploding targets. Even the old school foam block & flash powder ones I bought 10 years ago cost almost $13 for 8.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exploding Targets

You might try pool que chaulk. Not a real explosion but they do make a nice blue puff when hit. I like to drill a 1/8 hole in them and use a hot glue gun to glue wooden matches in them. I have a stand with holes in it to hold all sorts of fun targets. We have a rinfire match we call a medicine match. We shoot aspirins and vitamins and tic tacs at 25yds and tums,giant smarties and pool que chaulk at 50yds. Even an aspirin makes a nice little puff when hit. Give it a try. Slim

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Kind of pricey, but me and my girl did it once. You can use small cherry tomatoes or those individual sized things of butter. They tend to go flying off in random directions though......can also try the large rectangular blocks of butter. It's pretty cool to see the "wound" cavity that gets left behind.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Two of my favorites are apples and potatoes.

SportsmansGuide also carries some binary exploding targets. The SureShot Juniors are designed for rimflires.

$17 shipped with this $10 off coupon for memebers: SN482 (expires 11-30-12)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Charcoal Briquettes
Neco Wafers

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I'd list the chemical compounds found in old Chemistry sets that mix quite well into fun things...
but these days they get kinda cranky about that stuff ;)

Funny how in the 50's to 70's we were given Chemistry sets...which now contain practicaly NONE of the fun things we used to play with...
Guess they were afraid we might learn to be Chemists or something?? Hehehe

·
Banned
278 Posts
I found a bunch of neon pink cans of spray paint at The Dollar Store and shot them. They make a bit of a noise and spew paint all over the place. Place them somewhere away from other things. The paint will shoot about 5 feet in all directions.

I have never tried it but I hear a can of shaving cream will have the same reaction and not as messy.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Plus 1 for small soda cans. Shake well, place and enjoy. Also I like any kind of knick knacks I generally grab these from yard sales and such. They fling all over and some go poof.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I found a bunch of neon pink cans of spray paint at The Dollar Store and shot them. They make a bit of a noise and spew paint all over the place. Place them somewhere away from other things. The paint will shoot about 5 feet in all directions.

I have never tried it but I hear a can of shaving cream will have the same reaction and not as messy.
+1, this what I use to add a little excitement for my new shooters.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
We will freeze small water bottles and shoot with rimfire, it takes a while to break them down at any distance and it shows the hits!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts