Exploding Bullets - Not Hairspray - Caused Bomb Scare at Miami Airport: TSA

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ARnoob, Dec 29, 2010.

1. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Exploding Bullets - Not Hairspray - Caused Bomb Scare at Miami Airport: TSA | NBC Miami

Exploding Bullets - Not Hairspray - Caused Bomb Scare at Miami Airport: TSA

A man has been arrested after FBI and TSA officials said his luggage contained volatile gun parts, which caused his bag to explode Tuesday just before it was about to be loaded on a plane.

The unidentified 37-year-old man had 500 to 700 bullet primers in his luggage. Primers are considered the "spark plugs" of a bullet and ignites the gun powder, projecting it toward the intended target.

Officials originally said the exploding bag was caused by a hairspray aerosol can.

The situation turned out to be much more serious and could have been even more dangerous if the bag containing the combustible elements would have exploded while the plane was in the air....

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm pretty new and unlearned but wouldn't something had to have hit a primer first? If one went off, would they all go off? Would the primer make that big of an explosion without it being attacked to a cartridge with gun powder in it?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

static charge can set em off. primers are actually pretty tough and conditions have to be just right. it takes a lot of focused energy to set one off. they prolly came loose one lodged just in the right spot and kaboom. murphy is a real joker.

murphy is why its not kosher to carry such items on an aircraft and why they have to have hazmat labels when shipping.

but no one going off wouldnt mean they all go off especialy if they came out of the packaging. it was pretty stupid to do what he did and he deserves the prizes he has earned. i seriously doubt that they would have done any damage via explosion to the plane even taping the box of em to the fuel lines. the only danger would have been starting a fire. the explosive energy is pretty small.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thanks for the explanation.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Last time I looked I couldn't find any exploding bullets. I wanted some for ground hog hunting.

6. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

The newsy obviously knows NOTHING about firearms and ammo.......

But the passenger was a fool trying to sneak primers aboard. He'll pay dearly for that mistake. :eek:

7. Catfish

Catfish New Member

If you have ever seen the airline bagage handlers at work you would have no doubt but what they could make them go off.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

again BULLETS DO NOT EXPLODE.

BULLETS ARE MADE OF COPPER LEAD OR COPPER. There is no way any rough handling of a BULLET will make it go off.

A bullet has no forms of propellant or explosive to make it explode.

Again

Bullet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ammunition

[​IMG]

Notice one thing in the above pictures. Ammunition has a primer and powder PROPELLANTS. A bullet is simply a slug of lead and copper of copper only.

9. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

Exploding bullets may be the most popular urban myth in the sport. I do this for a living. I have been asked and tons of LEO HDS guys have been asked if it can work. Usually what you find is someone shooting at Tannerite and the tannerite explodes. The smallest explosive projectile manufactured is far larger than and beyond fiscal practicality for personally owned firearms.

I can't see the video here at work. Does it explain what the conditions were? To make them all function he had to have packed them in order to facilitate propogation.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

The media doesn't seem very terminology-wise on the subject of firearms or ammunition. I saw one of those "most shocking" videos the other night of an armed robbery allegedly involving an assault rifle. Strange thing was, that assault rifle looked like a cut-down remington 870, and the dumped ammunition looked just like what i feed my Mossberg pump-12 shotty. :rolleyes:

What if you soaked it in some liquid nitrogen for a while and then flicked it into a hot fryer at MickeyD's?
    ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

:D Understatement of the Year, First Prize.

It is a badge of honor among them to appear uninformed about subjects like weapons and the military, because those things are crass and beneath their dignity. I could write a book about all the stupid mistakes I've heard or read in the MSM about weapons systems, vehicles, aircraft etc. The information is out there...they just don't bother.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

It doesn't help much when we have morons positng on message board Baggage handlers can make bullets explode. GOOD LORD Please help us.