Explain or educate me on ASSAULT RIFLE

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bobbyb13, Jan 27, 2009.

1. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

What is a ASSAULT RIFLE. If I shoot you with a BB gun, or a bolt action 30-06or a lever action 30-30, or a Browning Hi-Power, or a AR15, you are assaulted, mad, or dead. Is it just because they are on a Military platform that makes the media jump on the ASSAULT word? If I bust you up side the head with a stick, is it an assault stick? As I stated before, It is the fool not the tool. But, I'm beating a dead horse again. Forgive me. Just old an cussed.

2. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The Brown Bess musket, once used by the military, is an assault rifle.

The SKS, however, is questionable, if in it's non-detachable magazine configuration, despite integral bayonet and grenade launcher.

The 1911 pistol tends to escape too much scrutiny, although it was state of the art military.

A pink AK-47 clone, while neither evil nor black, is worse than a standard AK, as is an Airsoft AK, because it confuses the authorities.

The Mosin Nagant M-44, despite a hellaciously more powerful round, and a bayonet as standard equipment, and the fact that none can be had that weren't involved in a military assault, is not an assault weapon.

I guess to answer your question- beats the hell out of me.:rolleyes:

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Is it scary? Is it black? Or does it look like it might be a military rifle? Then it's an "assault weapon".

Seriously, there is no logical, rational definition of such a thing; it's all about what the leftist panty-wetters feel.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Assault: as⋅sault: a sudden, violent attack; onslaught: an assault on tradition.

Weapon: weap⋅on: any instrument, device, or tool for use in attack

I give you three common assault weapons ( or tools as the case may be )

Attached Files:

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

But we the shooters keep the name going. We keep calling ar's sks and ak's assault weapons.

Why not just call them rifles?

My rifle is an ak-47 in 7.62x39mm.

My assault weapon is an ar-15 in 450 bushmaster.

Just like ebr or evil black rifle.

Why not call them what they really are SUR's Sport utility Rifles. Because like an SUV they too can be used for different roles.

From this day forth i forbid the use of Assault Weapon or assault rifle on this board. From now on we shall call them SUR's or sir's yep dillinger is going to build me a sir or SUR in 5.56 or 260rem. See how nice and polite that sounds.

Like SUV they should be called assault cars. Why because most drives of them can barley ride a dam bike let alone pilot a 10,000# car at 85mph.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I like it - and he has a point.

SUR For The Win!!

I'll get back to you on the price of that SUR in .260 Remmy though Tango. :p

JD

7. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

SUR it is

Sport Utility Rifle, has a good ring to it. I'll use it.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

So my rifle is now a SUR-47?:p

9. johnsteele

johnsteele New Member

Whatever some thimblewit CongressCritter who doesn't know their ____ from a muzzle says it is.

10. Musket

Musket New Member

oooooohhhhhhhhhhnoooooooooooooo......

I like this idea. And its a perfect thing to throw at anti legislators this session. When you mention your SUV, I am sure someone will pipe up and ask "just what is a sport utility rifle?" and you can retort--when you tell me what an assault weapon is, I'll tell you what a sport utility rfile is. :D:eek:

Yes--GO FORTH AND DECLARE FROM THIS DAY FORWARD THAT THE ASSAULT WEPAONS ARE FREE. THEY ARE NOW SPORT UTILITY RIFLES...

And there was joy throughout the gun ranges.......:cool:

HAHHAH.

11. bkt

bkt New Member

Didn't someone coin the term "homeland defense rifle" a while back on this forum?

12. laynejc

laynejc New Member

I have always called them defense rifles, as I do not consider our troops assailants, I like to think of them as defenders of freedom, and the ar is the civi version of the m16. I am not sure what the elected officials will think of SUR's, but they dont care too much for calling them defense rifles. The SUR has a much better ring to it, Ill have to change my vocab.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

SUR is waaaayyyy too close to SUV. SUV's guzzle gas and tout American extravagance and wealth. While an assault rifle may have killed 4, a SUV drove into a crowd and then over a cliff. Killed 6. Remember the lefties hate guns and carbon emissions.

14. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

Today my local gunsmith was upset that I referred to rifles as weapons. I told him that sometimes habits die hard. He called them quality sporting rifles. You don't protect yourself from deer or clay pigeons.

15. Bighead

Bighead New Member

HAHA +1

The next thing we'll see is comprehensive legislation to protect us from the dreaded SPORT UTILITIES. We won't know that it includes Tahoes & AR15's (along with a subsidy for electric cars and Handgun Control INC).

I actually like the moniker Sport Utility Rifle, or maybe even Utility Rifle...its sure easier than saying "semi-automatic, detachable-magazine fed rifle" like I've been doing lately as I protest the treaded ASSAULT RIFLE label.

I wonder if the term ASSAULT RIFLE was first used negatively by the media or the politicians?

16. Kent E

Kent E New Member

Media. The politicians are more concerned about cutting back room deals.

17. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

By the original definition, an assault rifle is a relatively short-barreled rifle (usually 14-20 inches), chambered in an intermediate cartridge (7.62x39 or 5.56 vs .30-06 or 7.62x54R), select fire (either semi-automatic or full-automatic), and has a detachable magazine.

The original was the STG-44 (or MP44, because Hitler didn't want the rifle, he wanted more submachine guns) chambered in 7.7 Kurz. The Germans developed it after they saw a need for a quick-firing rifle that was easily controllable in full-auto, but had more range than a submachine gun.

Unless the rifle meets all of those criteria, it is not an assault rifle.

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That was me as well.

We need to change our ways. The way we name rifles and or call out selves gun nuts ect........ We need to change it.

Get this months Blue Press and read an article in it. It is a very good read. It makes good points.

HDR or SUR I think are both good names for military style rifles. We scare these people because we are different than them. We need to conform so they are not so scared. Now I don't mean that we all need to support abortion or gay marriage and that. We just need to make them feel better.

Because when you get a SUR with a folding stock it can be a XSUR a cross over sport utility rifle. See where I am going with this. Just like calling a gun with a heavy barrel and larger scope a Sniper rifle. When it is a bench rifle. You could always call it a duel sport rifle. Because it can be used for hunting and or precision rifle.

XSUR= gun with folding stock.
    SUR = military style rifle.
    DSR = large scope heavy barrel polymer stock.
    CSUR (Cowboy SUR) = lever action rifle.

I just don't think we need to be calling them assault weapons or assault rifles. We need to start talking like the enemy and subverting them with language.

19. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

7.62x54r is an intermediate cartridge?

Perhaps acceptable calibers will be up next on the chopping block.

20. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

No, 7.62x54R is a full-power cartridge, like the .30-06