Expiration dates ?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by readygirl, Oct 27, 2012.

1. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Anybody know how far past the expiration dates it is safe to consume typical canned goods, green beans, corn, chili, etc. Also, why is there an expiration date on bottled water ? Would you be better off to store tap water since it is chlorinated ?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's some good questions.
    I wouldn't fully trust expired goods, even in a can, but I think they would be good for quite a while past their date as long as the can isn't damaged. I can't give even a good guess how long though. I would go with the sniff test. If it smells bad, it is. If it doesn't, I would just cook the hell out of it if it is expired.

Water, I store in gallons, cool dark place, chlorinated, rotate every year at the minimum.

Notdku told me of another forum of his, you'll likely find some great answers there
    www.preparedsociety.com
    A site for preppers.

3. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Thanks Trip, for the feedback, and the link.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Welcome. Hope I don't kill you with bad advice... ;)

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The "expiration date" on food is generally the "best consumed by" date. Food begins to lose flavor and some vitamins, however, I have eaten military C-Rations (canned food items) that were about 18 yrs old- and am still walking around. Cool, dry, and dark are best for ANY food storage.

IF a can is bulged (typically can ends are pushing out) DO NOT OPEN. If the food has bad smell, off color, do not eat. Dented or rusty cans- pass. Some reading for you- links to a dozen or more articles: http://grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

As far as water- no, does not go bad. There can be concerns about very long term stored water picking up chemicals from plastic containers, but the containers meant for beverages (usually PET) limit that a great deal.

You would be better off storing a bit of chlorine (bleach- 5.25% sodium hypochlorite) and using that to treat water a couple of hours before using it. Water that has been chlorinated will gradually lose chlorine when stored- and if water is contaminated later, there may not be adequate residual chlorine to kill the bugs.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Water doesn't go bad in and of itself -- C3 is right. But stagnant water has to have a certain microbial equilibrium that I'd disinfect with a little chlorine. Tap water might have FLOURINE in it for teeth. 1 lb. of chlorine pool shock will treat 9-10,000 gallons and costs a few dollars. Chlorine solution loses its efficacy with time -- consider it to have a 6-month half-life.

As for expiration dates on foodstuffs, the longer you prep the more likely you are to dismiss them to one extent or another...

;)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

what expiration dates? :eek:

8. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

C3 hit the nail on the head...........

with the cannin technology and "safety" practices <he said with a sneer> of cannin now-a-days, the only real reason the dates are on the cans is to give a good indication of "taste, color, and nutrient" decline.

as for edibility, it will be good as long as the can is FULLY intact, meaning no holes. a lil rust won't kill ya, BUT a pressurized can WILL! if either of the can's ends are convex (bent/bowed out), THROW THEM AWAY! same with home canning, if lid is convex, throw it away. bacteria has accumulated inside to the point where they have given off enough CO2 to pressurize the can. BAD, BAD NEWS!

as for water, because it is bottled, the FDA makes the manufacturers put a date on it only for safety precautions. it's better to be safe than sorry.

stored water outta the tap is different, it is chlorinated. it is considered "safe" to drink........outta the tap. once you bottle it, you assume full responsibility for the safe storage and consumption of it.

water is good for a LONG while, but it goes flat. once it goes flat, it tastes like s!-!it, almost not palatable. aerators on the ends of your interior faucets help with this problem when your get it outta your sink @ home, so pouring half of a container of water into another container and shakin the hell outta it tends to put the oxygen back into the water and "refreshes" it for drinkin. if in doubt about drinkin the water though, either add chlorine (Chlorox) to the water (as mentioned by C3) or boil.

9. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

most that store tap water try to rotate it about every 6 months.

10. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Home canning......

we cleaned out my mothers home from top to bottom. We came across a jar of mustard greens that were canned. It was 22 years old. my mother fried some salt pork and onions and in went the mustard greens. They were still good after all this time.......Know what to look for when foods go bad..... I let my wife do this, shes almost expendable.......lol.....Water never gets old, make sure you boil it, it might taste like chit but its still water......

11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

In my younger days I was given a pantry full of expired canned goods. I had no problem with any of them. I don't know if canning practices were safer 35 years ago than now. I know that canned food had a lot more salt back then. Salt is a preservative.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I eat canned food past the due date. Most were okay. I use canned evaporated milk for baking and cooking and that does get 'icky' after a while.

Once I was cleaning some pantry shelves I have in the basement. There was a can of tomato soup that had an expiration date on it of "Jun 06". I was pretty 'stupid' that day, I guess, and it was October so i thought, "Okay, it's only four months overdue." I took it to work and ate the soup. Then I got to thinking, "Waaaiiit a minute. That's June 2006, not June 6th.!!!! It was October 2010. The soup was 4 years overdue and though it didn't taste as good as a fresh can of soup (it was tomato soup) it really wasn't bad and I didn't get sick. :D I mostly ignore the expiration dates except for the canned milk, which turns yellow and chunky.

Also, expired boxed baking items, like corn muffin mix or cake mixes, won't rise if they are much beyond expiration date. The baking powder or baking soda or whatever in them gets too old to do it's job.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

At the beginning of the year I finished instant coffee that was 20 years old that I had just opened. Vacuum sealed in a glass jar -- you can't even FIND that anymore. As fresh as the day my Mom had squirreled it away in her home...

14. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

We store water in 2 liter bottles for quite awhile, sometimes we drink them even after a couple years, sometimes we use them for target practice, :D Hasn't made me sick yet...

15. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

One reason why boiled water tastes bad is the oxygen has left the water. Shake it around for a while and the taste will improve

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Why would shooting old bottles of water make you sick!?

17. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

Sometimes we drink the water. She was asking if it would go bad.

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

OK, I've now tried both drinking coffee made from running cold tap water over beans as well as shaking a hot cup of fresh coffee vigorously for a while. Neither seems an improvement on the taste of my old-fashioned drip coffee. In fact, one was little bland whilst the other was a painful mess and what was left tasted about the same as usual to me but was lukewarm...

NOW what am I supposed to do?

PS: I thought my goldfish might appreciate the results from this oxygenated water technique as well. I mean, he is sipping water all the time, right, so I'd prefer it tastes good to him (her?). Plus he doesn't seem very bright so I thought there might be a colatteral benefit. Well, I don't know if he likes the taste any better but he seems dopier than before. Should I have taken him OUT of the bowl first do you think?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I was just wondering about this today at the supermarket. I looked at a variety of canned items, and all the dates seemed to be around 2 years out. Half of that for boxed items. What about other things? Jerky? Dried beans?

20. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

don't know about jerky, but as long as you keep dry beans dry, they should be good. keep them dry, and in a sealed airtight container, and preferably in a dark cabinet. you can also plant them (even tho they're prolly hybrids :eek:)