Experienced help needed

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by coopertrooper, May 7, 2014.

1. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

I have a Centerpoint 4-16x40mm scope on my 30-06...and I'm having problems with it holding zero, I don't know if I keep bumping it or if it's the scope, yes the rings and bases and the mount are securely on the rifle, ad if it's the scope what are some new scopes that will hold zero and preferably have mil-dot, any and all help is appreciated

- coopertrooper

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

to be honest, it may not be able handle the recoil. might be time to invest in a higher quality scope.

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Not familiar with your brand or it's price point but when it comes to optics you definitely get what you pay for.

If your scope did not cost you more than your rifle... You probably need to make a change.

Leupold has never let me down... They also bought the old Redfield name and produce them in the same Oregon plant. Redfield is now Leopold's "budget" line.

I would not hesitate to recommend either.

Good Luck

Tack

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I have that same scope on a couple rifles. Difference is they are .17hmr and .22LR. You're in a whole different level of recoil and a $70 scope from Wal-Mart isn't built to handle it.

5. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

The Nikon scopes aren't bad at all, especially on a budget. Get one in the $150-200 range and you'll be set. Or like Tackle mentioned, take a look at Redfield. Leupold scopes are very nice, but usually closer to $300. I personally have a older Nikon Monarch 3-9 on my .270 and it's held zero for over 80 shots now.

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd love to bring you good news about your scope,

but, the sad truth is, you can waste a lot of ammo

and time trying to bring a shot-out scope to zero.

I did.

All the above brands are good choices, IMHO.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

When you mount the base to the rings if they are weaver style or picatiny rail you must lush the rings fkrward as your tightening so the rings are against the forward portion of the mount

8. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

In the past I went thru many of those center points. Some would hold zero decent enough on 308s. However, most did not. I would highly recommend the redfields. They're extremely good optics and recently priced for a budget minded shooter. You could take the center point back and keep doing that till you find a good one that will hold zero, but as stated that's a lot of ammo. I would recommend getting your money back, put another $50 with what you get back off your center point and get a redfield. Just my two two cents though.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Centerpoint scopes are usually pellet rifle scopes. They are designed to take both forward and backward recoil. Given that the scope is designed to handle the recoil of a pellet rifle it is not going to fare so well on a centerfire rifle.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Even the not great scopes have a lifetime warranty. What is the warranty on yours? There are several decent scopes in the $150 range and even some under if you shop. Yours is not one of them. Dont waste your money or ammo on another one. If you look at the Sponsor Display you will see price reductions on Vortex. They have one of the best warranties in the business.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  11. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

No offense but you have an airtoy scope on a serious caliber rifle.

Remove and replace with a better quality optic.....:rolleyes:

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I hate to disagree with some of ya, (NO I DON`T) I don`t know how your scope is mounted or anything about Centerpoint, but I have seen some pretty darn good $70.00 scopes & I do have some good scopes ie; Swarovski, but I will also tell ya I have a $40.00 Tasco on my .303 & it never fails to hold its zero !..............

Attached Files:

• No4.jpg
      No4.jpg
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
  13. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Bottom line, 'as a general rule, when it comes to rifle scopes, you get what you pay for'!;)

14. Wcorker4

Wcorker4 New Member

Well I have the same scope on my 30-06 savage axis with no issues.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  15. Axxe55

well it might for a while, but i wouldn't bet a trophy buck on that scope.

16. Wcorker4

Wcorker4 New Member

Had the scope for years. Hasn't let me down yet bring on that buck.

17. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

OK so you think your scope is great. This is not unusual. Good luck.:rolleyes:

18. Axxe55

if it suits your needs and your happy, then more power to you.

i just tend to have more confidence in a little higher quality scope myself.

19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want a good 'value' in a scope for a hi-powered rifle I suggest you give Redfield a serious look! :D

20. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I second redfield. Tasco makes a higher end scope (or did) that was a good scope, but this was ten years ago. Don't know if they're as good now as they were then. Had a buddy with one on a .338 that never lost zero. Swift makes a good optic too but I haven't looked at their prices in a while.