Exotic ammo?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Gizord1, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

The main reason I love shotguns, is because you can practically blast anything out of them. Sure you can't load it with nails and bolts like a blunderbuss, but what's stopping you from getting a round that could shoot a wall of flame 200 feet or throw a ton of carpet tacks at an unlucky intruder?
    Exotic ammo is a new breed of shotgun ammo that is all specialized for a specific purpose/load. Everybody knows about the "dragons breath" flame throwing round and the flechette rounds, but a quick Internet search will reveal everything from door breaching rounds, to rounds that can explode on impact.
    What are your thoughts/experiences with exotic ammo?

2. Honestly... If exotic ammunition were worth it, the bottomless pockets of the government would be providing it for it's agents, officers and warriors.

I've tested 12 ga. flechette rounds, they're worthless.
    http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14918&hilit=flechette
    End results published on the last page.

Short version:
    If I were facing two opponents, one firing 12 ga. flechette and the other shooting 22 Shorts ....
    I'd charge the guy shooting the flechettes.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Some of the exotic ammo is specifically illegal to sell or posess in my state. Flechettes and "flame-thrower", bolos and other rounds will get you a long-term room mate named bubba here. Be careful about your own states regulations.

4. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Well, sure most of the rounds are made for fun and novelty use, not really much practical purpose.
    As for the flechettes, if you watch taofledermaus' slow motion weird shotgun load videos (nails, washers, dimes, wax slugs, AA batteries, etc.) a video of flechettes shows them tumbling and going off in different directions. They look cool, but other than that, nope.

5. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I personally haven't bought any. I would like to try some, but most of them are sold in 3 round packs, and $15-$17 and even $20 a pack is way too expensive for casual shooting. Unless you buy one like door breaching or pitbull home defense loads.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

7. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Oh, I already have a lot of flechette darts. You can get 50 off eBay for $7 including shipping. I considered loading a 20 gauge shell with em, but I don't want to damage my Remington 870s barrel.

8. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

How are you going to prevent these darts from tumbling and going everywhere? At 40 yards 00 buck will put more pellets in a paper plate and they will have more energy. I have loaded high brass shells with rock salt to run off thieves and vandals. The rock salt has a range of about 20 yards. Plus you have to use a dowel to pack the rock salt to maintain wad pressure. You are going to have to overcome these obstacles to load anything but round lead balls. Plus with the shotgun powder you buy over the counter will not create enough pressure to equal store bought velocity. In premium store bought loads they have a proprietary blend of powder.

9. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I wouldn't mess with these flechettes, or flame rounds. There's a reason why buckshot is far more popular.

10. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Yeah, there really only for fun. The only real use they have had, is apparently some forestry services have used the flame thrower rounds to start backburn fires. They won't replace buckshot as hunting rounds, but if you have the property and the money, go for it.

11. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Fun load from Fox's bench.

You want a fun, inexpensive load for your 12 or 20 gauge? Try rhis one.

My grandfather needed to find a way to get rid of the rats in the feed barn, so he came up with these. Load your own shells with popcorn. They will put a hurtin' on a rat, and they will not go through a plasterboard wall. I have used this loading myself on a few occasions, mainly for rodent control in my shop, and they work quite well for that purpose. The only downsides to them that I have found are:

1 If you use them in an apartment, you WILL p.o. your neighbors.
    2 Your wife may never let you near the reloading bench ever again.
    3 If you pop the corn after you shoot it, no amount of butter and salt will ever make it taste good.:p

Seriously though, they work great for rodent control.

12. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Awesome!
    That is pretty cool

13. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Plastic 6mm airsoft pellets packed into a shell make an interesting option for pest control. Short range only, and doesn't put holes in the barn walls...

14. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

They actually make 6mm metal bbs. I play airsoft on occasion, and most of our skirmishes are in a huge wooded area and fields. I have seen one of our players kill a snake with a spring pistol. I figured those would be better.

15. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

its all snake oil and fads. nothing beats buck shot and bird shot.

flash bangs are good for keeping crows out of orchards and fields. thats about it.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have shot some "exotic" ammo years ago. about all i can say is they are fun to shoot but of no practical value. kind of like shooting Tannerite!

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I want to do that some day. :D

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i've seen it. wasn't real impressed. i have heard of too many fires getting started because of it, so i figure i will just watch others on videos doing it and leave it alone.

19. oli700

oli700 New Member

Tannerite doesn’t start fires if directions are followed…..I have blown up 100 or so lbs of tannerite. Others like white lightning and such might start fires but not tannerite. And if you weren’t impressed then you didn’t shoot enough, youtube tannerite, you’ll be impressed. The big smoke cloud is actually water vapor…..and you can’t activate it with any pistol cartridge, .223 or better ballistic required.
    Here s just 20 pounds
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsDefZv72EY[/ame]

I have been in the fire service for 23 years....wildfire. Trust me on this one

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I still want to do it sometime. I don't have any tannerite, I don't have anywhere to shoot it and I don't have a gun powerful enough to set it off. :)