Excited for North Carolina

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JW357, Nov 15, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

As some of you know I was able to get my orders changed from southern Kalifornia to North Carolina. My wife and I were already stationed there for about a year and a half, meaning I already have my CCW permit there. We're excited to return. Here's some of the reasons why.

I want to become a serious hunter. In this regard, I've already started researching the laws and restrictions there.

No weapon registry.

No "assault weapon" ban.

Open Carry is legal in some localities.

No crazy ten day waiting period after buying a gun.

The Atlantic isn't too cold to swim in during the summer months.

We will buy a house.

We have no problem living there semi-permanently after I get out of the Corps.

There is some variance in weather.

The list goes on and on and on.

This is a rather pointless thread, I.understand. But I'm too damn excited to not talk about it.

2. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Well, I'll drop in and visit you next time I'm up there if you live anywhere near the blue ridge parkway (and don't shoot me on sight).

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

You're not invited.

Just kidding. I don't know where the blue ridge parkway is but we'll be living near Jacksonville.

4. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Not a pointless thread at all. Wishing you and your wife all the best in your new location. :) I've never visited Nawth Cakalaky but it sounds good from your description.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Good news indeed!!

We'll leave a light on for ya!! ;)

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks. We appreciate it.

:)

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Here in the South, people have a saying, "if you don't like the weather, just wait a bit."

I came up with my own saying. "Those who say that, have never lived on the coast of North Carolina."

Yes, they do have weather variations, as you know. When I lived there (Camp Lejeune), I found it prudent to keep a light jacket, heavy jacket, rain jacket (or one of those that covers all three) a blanket, roadside emergency kit, first aid kit, food, socks, drawers, shoes and boots, AND a bad of sand in the trunk of the car, ALL YEAR. I have broken out the heavy jacket in the middle of summer!

I don't like that "permit to buy a handgun" bull spit though. With a CC permit, you can bypass that part can't you?

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Yup...also with the paper permit system, it only 'allows' you to buy 5 handguns per year, with the CC you can buy as many as you damn well please, if you so choose...;)

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

That still ain't right, IMO.

I can walk into some stores around here, do my grocery shopping, pay bills, buy some beer or liquor, and a whole collection of guns (handgun or long gun) at the same time. And a safe to put them in!

I took a great pic of a store sign in Laramie, Wyoming over the summer. Later on this evening I'll see if I can find it and post it. It was great.

10. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Welcome back buddy. Its a good place to be.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

No, it's stupid, I agree. IIRC it's the only thing that was voted down last summer when HB937 was passed and signed into law.

Paul Valone (GRNC) was piiiiiissed about it. The way his blogs read on the topic sounded like someone had kicked his puppy while pouring sugar into his gas tank...:eek:

Best 'gun laws' (if there is such a thing) in the country if you asked me...which nobody did...:p

Looking forward to the pic...:cool:

12. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

JW Glad you made it back to the sain coast, was stationed at Camp Lejeune for radio school back in 1980. My son-in-law & daughter are there now but they are PCS to Okie in January . Maybe I'll drop by when ya'll settle in , I' m near Charlotte. Mickey

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yes you can. I agree the pistol permit thing is garbage. But when compared to CA, its gravy man.

But don't worry. Ill use my votes smartly to try to do away with it.

Absolutely. And thanks.

Thanks I appreciate it. I was in Oki for two years. I don't envy them.

14. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Glad ya made it! Still kinda wish you would be in Cali around mid February for my graduation! At least you got out of crazy gun law land

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks. Nope ill be in TX one way it the other in Feb.

Good luck again in boot.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

That is progress!

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Okinawa? I was stationed there 18 months ... 1967-8. Wasn't too bad back then.

I also love NC. Born there plus first 18 years. I just got back from a 2 week visit with my Mom and family.

Ate a lot of chopped pork BBQ with red slaw! And Cheerwine. Do that so they don't think you're a yankee! And call it Chair wine.

And watch out for dry counties! :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  18. JW357

JW357 New Member

Oki has changed a lot. I was there 2008-2010.

Cheerwine. Lol. Forgot about that.

19. orangello

orangello New Member

"cheerwine"? Is that for getting cheerleaders drunk or what?

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

It only works if they have a Dr. Pepper intolerance. They're basically the same thing.