excited about my enfield

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mountainman13, Jul 3, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Walked into the club on Sunday and the ffl comes over to me and asks If I'd be interested in a deal.
    What's the deal?
    I have an enfield that I can't sell as it is. Any interest?
    I Love projects.
    So he pulls out this enfield. Stock looks like it was in WWI. Rear sight is gone and he says he can't find a scope that will fit the mount. I do a quick function test and throw a light down the spotless bore.
    OK you have my interest. What's the deal?
    I payed $250 plus tax and won't sell it to anyone else. Give me $100 and it is yours.
    I'll take it right now.
    I'm closing up you can't have it today.
    OK well I'm going to Maine next week so I'll buy it in 2 weeks then.
    Pay for it before Christmas and it's yours. I can't/won't sell it to anyone else.

So I was gonna wait till I got it to say anything but I'm too excited.
    A rear sight will cost me about $30 delivered. I might reblue it and refinish the stock. Good deal eh?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No. Sounds like an EXCELLENT deal! Of course- WE NEED PICTURES!

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

As soon as it is in my possession you'll get them. I'll document any work I do to it too.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

No1 mkIII or a no4?

I really like the Enfields. Fast operating for bolt guns.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I think it's a 4 but honestly just guessing. It was rushed and I just wanted to make sure everything major checked out and claim it.

6. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Hell of a deal, this is a better deal than that one you wanted to buy off a customer a couple of months ago isn't it?

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Oh the 03a3 build that fell through. Yeah this is much better. I would have about broke even on that one because I already had half of it. This thing will cost me $50 Max to restore.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

congrats!:)

Clean it up, but don't refinish it. Leave it an original old war horse.:p

9. vincent

vincent New Member

Mucho congrats!! Right place at the right time eh? :D

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Refinishing will depend on exactly what it is. Just like my nagant. If it has seen war I will keep the work to a minimum. If not it won't decrease the value any.

And yes definitely partly right place right time aside from that he knows I may end up being the club gunsmith so I'm the only one there that can really make use of it I guess.

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

If it shoots it's worth it, and, youll find someone who can i.d. the scope mount and maybe hook ya up. They used to be that price retail w/a mismatched bolt in good condition, but, today, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

Rebuilt a Savage of my own part of whose stock had caught fire somewhere...

Pics when you are back!

12. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Did it look like this? (Number 1 Mark III)

[​IMG]

Or like this? (Number 4 Mark I)

[​IMG]

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Wish I could say. I didn't really take note or even attempt to figure it out at the time. I just gave it a quick glance and function check.

14. TLuker

TLuker New Member

A quick and easy way to tell the difference is the location of the rear sight. If it's back at the bolt handle it's probably a No4. In front of the receiver and on the barrel it's probably a #1.

I'm probably not going to mention anything that you don't already know but just in case:
    1. Check the head space
    2. Check the bore - Quick and easy check is to place a .303 bullet in the muzzle and see how far in it goes. I've seen some that the bullet would almost fall through.
    3. Check the rear locking lugs and make sure they're in good shape.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

mountainman13; I will be weighting on the pictures............

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Well good and bad news. My annual Maine fishing trip just fell through. I may pick up the enfield on Sunday. Assuming I don't get delayed or anything.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Sucks about the fishing trip. I enjoyed fly fishing up there when my first boat was in the shipyard in Kittery.

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Mountainman, it's just as well the fishing trip fell thru. I see alot of posts where people lose their guns in boating accidents...

19. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

also note some ammo uses a smaller bullet than others, so they might fail the bullet in muzzle test.

bought some S&B awhile back & i couldn't group better than the size of a beachball. when i did the bullet test, they dropped all the way to the brass. i have federal champion's & privi partisian's & they however show plenty of life left & shoot much tighter.

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Tried to by the enfield yesterday. Got delayed. Should be able to pick it up and post pics wed night.