Excercise your 'opportunity' to vote...

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Sonic82, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

You cannot be discriminated against for your race or sex when voting... it is guaranteed in the Constitution. However, there is nothing in the Constitution stating you actually have a 'right' to vote.....we should all be thankful for the privilege.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have to disagree with the "no right" portion of above. See Amendment 14, section 2-

"But when the right to vote........."

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I think that discusses states and how they are to handle it. This is from the following site....... Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net .... "in all of this, though, the Constitution never explicitly ensures the right to vote, as it does the right to speech, for example."

...and this; Beyond the Voting Rights Act:
    Why We Need a Constitutional Right to Vote
    By Jeff Milchen
    August 8, 2005- Beyond the Voting Rights Act:

4. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Its an interesting concept and I would agree...kind of. Is not the right to free speech and liberty where we derive the right to vote from? A people missing either liberty or free speech could very possibly be forbid to vote it seems to me.

5. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Apparently not, in this paragraph he explains how votes were not re-counted in Florida because voting is not a constitutional right....

Why We Need a Constitutional Right to Vote
    By Jeff Milchen
    August 8, 2005-

"Just months after the Alexander decision, a 5-4 Court majority in Bush v. Gore denied Florida citizens a right to ensure their votes were counted, saying "the individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote [for presidential electors]." Tens of thousands of Floridians who were purged wrongly from the voting rolls were denied recourse against Republican state officials who, in the name of preventing felons from voting, disenfranchised them."

end quote

This is off topic, but in the last sentence he is suggesting that the reason voting is not a constitutional right to prevent felons from voting.

Well, we have no problem preventing felons from owning firearms and that is in the constitution. ( Felons and gun rights is currently being discussed in another thread on this forum. )

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

7. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

That is scare for sure:mad:! I just don't see how its possible to conceive what the judges conclusion was. Thats an outright slap in the face to the republic!

Very interesting. I wonder if the federal government could forbid the voting of felons if there was an amendment made to the Constitution which made voting a right?

8. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I did not know that. Curious, what's the opinion of FirearmsTALK members? Should felons be allowed to vote?

9. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Might want to start another thread for that. Its one hell of a can of worms if past discussions are any bearing...

I will throw out my personal opinion in another thread should you decide to start one.

10. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Most of my threads are DOA.

11. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I highly doubt one discussing the opinion of board members on the "rights" of felons to vote would be DOA. Any discussion regarding Felons and their rights as a whole have turned into extremely good discussions which at times can be encouraging, exciting, and even down right angry.

12. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I personaly don't think a felon should be allowed to vote. They've proven their disregard for law. In theory, if enough felons voted we could wind up with someone in office that advocates crime... Baby Face Nelson for Prez :eek: Maybe distinguishing between different types of felonies would make sense as well.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

And we're going to make sure all of our

gun owning acquaintances and friends register and vote this year,

right?