Excellent gun care product.

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by CowboyBill, Aug 5, 2017.

1. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Member Supporter

I'm a big fan of Amsoil anyway, they make the best synthetic i=oil and it's all I'll run in my truck for every lubrication fluid but they recently came out with firearm care products that far exceed the competition. I highly recommend this, online gun supply sites ought to be stocking it.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/firearms-products/

2. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

That's over $10 for four (4) ounces of lubricant! Seriously, this makes sense to you? I protect my $10,000 outboard motor with Mobil1, five quarts (160 oz) for $24.00. do the math! That motor is worth far more than any firearm I own.

3. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Mobile 1 will do just fine

4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Active Member

Heck I use old fashioned 3 in 1 oil.

5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

a quart of Mobile 1 is $9 at my local O'Reilly's. you can lube a lot of guns with a quart of oil! lots and lots of guns. :D

6. Pasquanel

7. Pasquanel

The bottom line is most gun care products are a huge rip-off! They usually don't protect nearly as well as much cheaper products and they certainly don't offer better lubricity than cheaper commercially available products.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Like the lucas products it is probably reasonable to assume they are taking existing products form their motor products and repackaging them to the shooting community at a significant mark up. Find the corresponding automotive or marine product and buy it in larger quantity at lower prices per volume.

9. CowboyBill

You clean your guns with Mobil 1? I have guns worth almost $4,000, the gun cleaner that far surpasses the best of the best is worth every penny.

10. CowboyBill

You clean your guns with Mobil 1?

11. CowboyBill

You clean your guns with Mobil 1?

12. CowboyBill

13. CowboyBill

This one isnt a rip off, look into it rather than just ignorantly bash everything.

14. CowboyBill

You clearly don't understand the product.

15. SSGN_Doc

Or maybe I clearly understand other oil companies have already followed this business path as Lucas oil did with their Extreme Duty gun care products. Some research will reveal they repackaged transmission fluid, oil and grease for their automotive and marine applications and packaged them and marketed them for use in firearms.

If you don't think Amsoil did the same thing and went out of their way to produce something completely different, it may be business and marketing understanding that is lacking.

ATF works fairly well as a gun cleaner, alond with chlorine free brake and parts cleaner. Why develop something new when you already produce a metric ton of it and can put it in smaller packages and charge more for it?

Synthetic oils and light synthetic greases work well as gun lubricants. Oh, they already produce it? Well, package it a bit different and point out how this product firs your gun application as well as it works in an engine or set of bearings.

If I'm trying to save you money by having you repurpose a product you already buy, why attack me? But if you want to pay more for smaller quantities, by all means, it's a free market. Knock yourself out.

16. CowboyBill

A $10,000 short block that you have to take the cab off to replace. Amsoil is cheap, read the specifications and compare. OH AND I FORGOT, over $77,000.00 to replace it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  17. Pasquanel

Well, that changes everything Cowboy! We didn't realize this was the" best of the best" and surpasses everything else on the market!

BTW what is your favorite flavor Kool-Aide?

18. SSGN_Doc

Don't think I don't find Amsoil and Lucas and Royal Purple to be fine lubricant that exceed the standards of conventional motor oils. I have run Amsoil and Lucas in vehicles. I don't car if it was a full sized truck with and engineering defect that required a body-off-frame exercise to do what eventually must be expected in the long run for any vehicle at some point, or it if it was a VW beetle that a high schooler could disassemble in a garage, protecting the motor, and transmission makes sense. All of my vehicles get switched to some form of synthetic oil. My '97 Toyota 4Runner is still going without a rebuild after 20 years.

So I get the point that these companies make good oil and cleaners. But I also realize they are businesses, and will find ways to increase their market share and places to sell their products. The fact that their products are so good has earned them a fantastic reputation in one market (the internal combustion engine) that they can use their reputation to help find a way into a new market and increase sales, while also increasing their profit margin for a product they already produce.

As a consumer, I just want to get the best possible deal I can on a good product. If I'm already buying Amsoil, or Lucas Oil products for my automotive or marine needs, and then find out they package the same stuff and have found an application that also applies to my firearms. I'll still buy their product. But it's going to be in the least expensive format I can.