Ex Smokers?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by notdku, Nov 8, 2013.

1. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Any ex smokers on here? I gave up on nicotine replacement therapy and the Doc put me on Wellbutrin to help out.

I've smoked for over a decade and quit at least once a year, but always find the craving to be too much and I go back.

I love smoking, but it's expensive and it's bad. My daughter has also been mimicking it and I don't want that either.

How did you guys quit?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I quit using the lozenges.
    Lasted about a month and almost jumped over a car salesmans desk to choke the life out of him. Smoking may be bad for my health but No smoking may be bad for the health of others.

3. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

After my second heart attack in 1997, the surgeon showed me the difference in the inside wall of arteries , of smoker compared to non smoker.
    That did it for me. Threw them away , quit.
    Trying to quit aint the same as quitting.

Hard? incredibly hard, but after a few days ,then a few weeks.... of pure hell, I knew I never wanted to go thru that again.
    havent touched one since.
    Ex smokers are worse than never smokers.:D

I can smell one on the interstate at 75 mph with windows up, from a car in front of me.:D

Do it man. live longer for the kids.

Jim

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I started smoking for fun & cool factor when I was 15 y.o. in 1974. I smoked on avg. 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day for 29 years. I had always told myself I would never smoke for 30 years, and I didn't. I wish I had told myself that I wouldn't smoke for 1X years.

I quit because I decided I was D.U.N. with smoking, not for anyone else but me! I quit using a combination of the nicotine patch and the imagery I am going to PM you with.

I still get a craving 3 maybe 4 times a year, after 9 years as a non-smoker, but my PM will explain how I deal with them real easy!

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Maybe it would be helpful to post it here for all to see.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I will be 58 years old, smoked since I was 15, four years ago I just QUIT & have not had a cigarette since. No pills, no gum, no patches, no nothing. You can quit if you want to, you just got to do it & don`t look back. It`s hard for about two weeks, but after that it gets easier. That is all the HELP I can offer, Good Luck to ya.....................

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I haven't smoked now for a little over 5 years now. I started around when I was 15 and smoked for about 20 years. It's not easy, but if you have some to quit for like your daughter it does make it a little easier. I did try the prescriptions from my doctor, but didn't help. So, I quit cold turkey. ZG my wife already quit the year before cold turkey too. You have to force yourself to quit. I still get cravings for them, but picked one up.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Chantix.
    It made me a grumpy, temperamental bastard for a while, but was worth it. For me, it was damned near magic. 8 days in, I had simply lost all desire to smoke...haven't smoked since. Better still, there really hasn't been the urge.

9. smithwa3

smithwa3 New Member

After 25 years and 6 failed attempts at different methods of quitting; I picked a date. For 1 week prior to that date, I smoked too much, making myself sick. On the date I picked, I went on the patch, (my body was thankful to not have smoke anymore.)
    Then I took vacation and put in a fence, judt to have something to do so I wouldn't get cravings. That and I was procrastinating cheating on the patch.

10. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I quit cold turkey 7 years ago. I didn't use any patches, pills or gum. I smoked the last cigarette in the pack I had and never picked them up again. That was after 30+ years of smoking and untold failed attempts. The bottom line is it was the hardest thing I ever did. It took a good 18 months for the physical dependencies to stop and probably another year for the emotional aspects to stop. It is a horrible addiction to kick. I wish you nothing but success.

11. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I do fine the first month or two, but then it's on.

12. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Champix. Had some technicolor dreams and was a bit snappy a few times but nothing I could not handle. It's been several months now.

Smoked for 30+ yrs. I had previously tried to quit using every aid except VooDoo; some more than once. I was beginning to wonder if I might need to have my throat surgically cut to prevent the smoke from going in. :)

One of the worst times for me was right at month 4.....when I realize I'm cured.

Never quit quitting. One time, it'll come together and you'll get able to gut it out.

13. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I quit smoking just over 2 years ago and did it cold turkey. Haven't had a cigarette since I put the last one down. I started smoking when I was about 30 Y.O. during first divorce. Stupid I know but that is when I started. I am 58 Y.O. now.

I had made up my mind on my own that "I was done". Probably took several months to get to this point as I remember.

I quit going to the bar for about 2 weeks before I quit then I didn't go there for about 3 months after I quit. Didn't drink at home either including anything with caffeine or sugar.

I increased water intake and drank a lot of vegetable juiced like V8. I was, also at this time, taking these VitaPacks from GNC for 50+ Y.O. men for just general health reasons, but, I think the B complex vitamins in this pack helped a lot with the crappy feelings from nicotine withdrawal.

Keeping mentally and physically busy was a help to me as well IMO.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I started at 13, smoked 6 months then quit mainly because I had better things to use the money for. Like cheeseburgers and 45 records! Smartest and luckiest choice I made in my teenage years! I won't lie, peer pressure and craving almost got me but I lucked out.

No doubt smoking is as hard to kick as heroin but either one is a killer so you have to save yourself while you can. No matter how hard it is.

15. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I started smoking when I was around 12 (stupid, stupid, stupid). I quit for the second time almost exactly one year ago. I used the step down patch method, starting out with the 21mg patch and after a few weeks of that, going to 14mg and finally 7mg, chose a date to not put on a patch and never looked back. I went to the doctor a year ago for a checkup and he didn't like what he heard on the stethoscope. He sent me for x-rays and said he'd found some "spots". I was scared to death. He wanted to do a C-scan and scheduled me for the following week. That was the longest week of my life. I quit smoking that week and got on the patch. I took the test and the doc told me I had a mild form of emphysema. He checked me recently and told me that I'd improved considerably in the one year. Don't kid yourself, it's not a "bad habit". It's a deadly, highly addictive drug. I can now enjoy so many things without that monkey on my back. I can sit through an entire movie, actually taste my food, I've got my wind back which shows in places that really count (so says wifey)

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I smoked cigs for about three decades. I never not liked smoking but understand the issues. I went to using a vaporizer a few months ago and have been stepping down the nicotine and am about to zero now. I didn't like the E-Cig that attempt to look like a cigarette. I went to using a vaporizer pen. I can choose what I put in it and even mix my own if I choose to.

I have to admit I do miss the cigarettes but I'll also admit I feel better without the cigs too.

17. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Sept. 1960,
    was on a ship returning from Germany.
    Lit up a cigarette,
    took a puff,
    filled my mouth, my throat, my lungs with that hot dry stinking smoke,
    gagged, Thought "wtf".
    Threw the cigarette and the pack over the side.
    Smoked one more, a menthol, sometime in the 70s,
    at work had a sore throat, boss gave me a Kool.
    Sometime in the 80s started smoking a pipe and cigars.
    One day my Doctor told me I had a choice,
    "smoke or breathe"
    Oh my.
    Giving up the cigarette was easy,
    Giving up the cigar was hard.
    But I prefer breathing.

18. string1946

string1946 New Member

I smoked Lucky Strikes for around 20 years and switched to a pipe for another 20. Two years ago I had back surgery (Lumbar Fusion). The doctor told me if I quit smoking I would heal faster and better. I was in so much pain at the time that sounded like a no brainer to me. I threw away my pipes, gave away my supplies and just quit. I don't think about it much any more. If I do I eat a Baby Ruth. :cool:

19. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I worked in construction and built houses most of my life, I worked outside and could light up whenever I wanted to and was a two pack a day smoker for twenty plus years.
    One morning I woke up and immediately lit one up as was my usual routine followed by my coughing and hacking also part of the routine. So I say to my loving wife " I think I'm going to give up smoking"
    She laughed instantly and said "Ha that will be the day!" it so pissed me off that I picked up the pack crushed it and threw it in the garbage and said "never again" that was back in 1981. So far so good.

20. fordracing

fordracing Member

I have a special needs daughter. I gotta stay alive as long as I can to take care of her. That's what did it for me.

As far as cravings, driving was the biggest trigger for me. I would munch on a big carrot like bugs bunny the whole ride home ( about an hour)
    The cravings go away, and now I can't stand cigarettes.
    Good luck.