everyone's favorite .22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by jcg2439, Mar 6, 2011.

1. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

the Ruger 10/22 is one of the most popular .22s on the market today I am personally have one on layaway and pics will be posted once she gets home the amount of accessories that you can buy is amazing Ruger really outdid themselves

I would love to hear any stories, reviews, mess-ups, and/or praise for the 10/22

2. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Hey,whats not to love?

3. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

N-o-t-h-i-n-g

4. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I have a sad sad story...

I have never owned or shot one :eek:

5. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

one of the sad few huh

but if you get a chance either buy one or shoot one

please for your own good

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

It is kind of odd, I know, But I grew up around 30-30's, My dad never had .22's, But both of my kids have .22's However they are either a Henry or Mossberg.
    Someday I will get around to shooting one.
    Best of luck with yours :cool:

7. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

thankyou I am getting a 50 round drum for my 10/22

8. sngreen1

sngreen1 New Member

I love my GSG5, that thin is a blast to shoot!

9. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

is it accurate

10. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

I'd have to say the Savage MKII's are making a huge dent in the 22's bought today.
    They are accurate as can be right out of the box and priced right.
    Ruger just keeps making the 10-22 cheaper (they would make the barrel from plastic if they could) and their QC is really bad. No so much with the 10-22's, they are hard to mess up, but the new Savage rifles have it all over the Rugers.
    I've had some really bad experiences with a couple of new Ruger's I've bought and with their customer service.
    I'll never buy another Ruger.
    Besides, most people, by the time they are done with a 10-22 only have a few original parts left in them and spend 3 times as much as I've spent on my accurized Savage and it now shoots in the .1" range, 5 shots at 50 yards on a good day. See how much it costs to get a 10-22 to shoot consistanty in the .1" range if you can get it to.
    The 10-22's are reliable, lots of aftermarket parts, but the cost to make them shoot is just too much for the return.
    I have one that I put about $750 into and it still will not shoot anywhere close to my Savage.

John K

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've got two 10/22's, a bone stock 1967 model and a 2008 stainless that has been customized some. They both shoot great and we've had endless fun days at the range plinking away with them. We use Federal 550 bulk ammo from Walmart almost exclusively. Match ammo isn't worth the extra cost to us since we're not competing for Top Shot or anything. The groups shown were shot off a bench at 50 yards.

Here's a couple of photos:

Attached Files:

12. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

you are right Ruger is not working as hard to manufacture the 10/22 but on the other hand the 10/22 has the dependability that the savage does not have also the 10/22 has been in production for a longer time and it lasts a lifetime wich is why for now it is the most popular .22 and you can buy alot more modifications

13. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

your 10/22 are nice snakedriver nice grouping

14. Harleygunner

Harleygunner New Member

Here's mine

Ruger 10-22's have so many ways to customize, this is what I did,

Attached Files:

15. jcg2439

jcg2439 New Member

that is sick!!!!!!! it looks amazing fantastic job

16. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

Don't under estimate what an old bolt action .22 can do. My Remington 510 Targetmaster can score as well as Snakedriver's if I do my part. Those are great groups at 50 yords.:)

17. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Oh, did I mention I have an old '42 Rem. 512 Sportmaster that does some good shooting too? ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  18. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I have one but it's my least favorite. It's reasonably accurate and dependable but it doesn't get used much.

19. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

The Ruger 10/22 has been called the "short-block Chevy of the gun world." After market parts and gadgets are mind boggling. I own a Marlin Glenfield, mod. 60 (18 round tube mag) that I received as a gift round about 1977 or so. It developed problems over the years and I put it away in one of my safes and bought a 10/22 in 1998, just to have a .22 rifle on hand. I wasn't all that pleased with it, and didn't shoot it much.

Fast forward to 2001, when I retired from the cop shop. I took a job with Leupold, where I wormed my way into a friendship with one of their engineers and world class shooters. We were talking over coffee one day about .22 rifles, and I described the problems I had with the Ruger. He said to bring it in, and he'd see what he could do. A few hundred bucks for a new barrel, stock, scope and internal parts, plus some time on a CNC milling machine, and my so-so 10/22 is now a tack driver. I'm very pleased with it.

A couple of weeks ago while visiting a gunsmith friend, I took the Marlin from it's spot in the safe to see if he could do anything with it. About an hour later, after a through cleaning :eek:, I got my Marlin back in like new condition and it shoots as good as ever. Now I have two tack driver .22's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  20. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Now that's food for thought. A few hundred bucks over cost against a good cleaning for a bone stock Marlin. Hmmmm.