Everyone says don't get a 9mm??

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rstarlin23, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstarlin23

rstarlin23 New Member

I've been looking to get a 9mm semi automatic pistol(Walther p99qa). Everyone keeps telling me not to get a 9mm instead get a 40 or 45. What do you think about this statement?

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

To each his own-
    I have both- NOT a 40 fan :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

9mm is a perfectly good caliber. Get what you want.

4. dpowers311

dpowers311 New Member

Most forums I have been on recommend getting a 9mm. Most also recommend renting what ever guns your are interested in and shooting them. If you don't like how the feel or shoot you won't practice with them.
    Dave

5. vincent

vincent New Member

It's what YOU shoot best, don't let people tell you what's best for you. I'm a .40, .45 guy, smaller calibers just don't feel natural to me...but that's just me...The Walther is a good choice, especially for EDC, never an issue with my pps in .40

6. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Agree w/ Vincent. Shoot what feels best to you. If you are buying a gun for home protection, obviously the bigger the better but it's also what you are comfortable with. 9mm is much cheaper to target shoot. Go rent/borrow some guns and try them.

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Who's everyone? Is everyone an expert of some sort? My guess is that everyone is a hobbyist with strong, manly opinions. I know the cool kids are telling you to get a more suitable caliber. However, with proper ammo choices, the 9 mm will serve you just fine. If you wish, test drive some other options, but don't allow yourself to be browbeaten into something you don't want.

8. fireguy

fireguy New Member

We all know that everyone is a dumba$$. Don't listen the him/her/them. 9mm is a great round to plink or target shoot and train with, not very expensive and plentiful. There are a lot of loads that are very good as defense rounds as well. Recoil is very manageable for most people, too. I have 9mm, .357, and .45acp and don't really consider any of them as not appropriate for my use as fun guns and defense guns. Get what fits and what you like. Ignore the sheeple.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

my personal preference is for the 45acp but my wife likes the 9mm. if i go down in gun size i skip the 9mm and go to 380acp. i like the 380 cartridge in a lightweight bersa thunder. i feel just as comfy with my bersa as i do my 45.

its just personal preference. i may get a 9mm for myself at some point as i reload that round now since my got a xdm in 9mm.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Nothing wrong with a 9mm. My wife will shoot my .40 but she isnt real fond of the recoil. She would much rather shoot my 9mm . Rounds are cheaper, plentiful, and there are some great aggressive home defense rounds available for it and not to mention lesser recoil . Shoot a couple different guns and calibers and choose your weapon , don't let others choose it for you . If its not comfortable to shoot or too aggressive you won't want to shoot it . Practice makes perfection

11. ahole

ahole New Member

you should have at lest 1 9mm or 1 45 for a SHTF gun. why? well what two rounds will be out there the most 9mm .45acp. as far a .40, 10mm, 357sig, 375mag, 44mag, and the rest yes great rounds but you do need one of the two common rounds. Just my opinion. But also what are you used to shooting and how big is your wallet.

12. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

The main thing to have with you in a gunfight is a gun! Also, shot placement is more important than the caliber of the gun you use. There are some tales about people having to use 19 shots with a 9mm to stop a perp. They don't tell you the shooter was panicky and missed completely with half the shots, and shot little peices off the perps ears, fingers, etc, before he accidently got a round to go thru the BG's chest. :D Remain calm as possible, try to hit the AORTA, which is center chest, at a couple inches below armpit level. The heart will keep pumping until it pumps all the blood out of the perp. Doesn't matter if the bullet diameter is .355" or .451".

13. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Get/shoot what you want. I usually recommend the 9mm for new shooters, because ammunition is plentiful, cheap, and the recoil is not bad at all so it makes for a good caliber to learn on/start with. Now I like the .45 ACP much more than the 9mm, but that's not the caliber I started out with. I started with the 9mm. After being around firearms and shooting firearms for years I moved up to the .45 ACP.

14. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I have more 45 ACPs then any other caliber, but with that said I also have 9mms and a .40. Any experienced shooter will tell you two things. Shot placement matters more that caliber and the 380, 38, 9mm in your pocket is better than the 45 left at home.

15. mtmagwhenindout

mtmagwhenindout New Member

I have both and I would not take for my 40 the round is bigger,faster and does twice the damage compared to the 9mm

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

That Sir- Is a slightly false remark :rolleyes:
    The 40 is bigger but both rounds are very close in balistics and they both will put pretty much the same size hole in the target. Surely not TWICE the size or damage-

But once again- Each to his own :cool:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  17. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

Have you heard enough about how most of us do not agree with "everybody"? There have been plenty of great thoughts thrown out there for you to ponder, but I ask this,
    "What do you want a gun for?"

Personal/Home defense = any gun that you have and can hit target with
    Target/Plinking = cheap ammo
    Making the guys think you have a bigger sack = 357/44/S&W50

My first pistol was purchased for a combination of Home Defense/Target. I bought a 9mm and none of my friends openly laughed at me. They were impressed because I had a new gun.

18. vincent

vincent New Member

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have a 40sw, 357sig, 45acp, 38sp/357mag, among others. While I'm certainly no expert, I'm comfortable with each and shoot them all competently. Whether at home or concealed carry, the pistol I'm most likely to choose in a pinch is going to be a 9mm. It's plenty potent as a defense caliber. More important, I'm a very effective shooter with the 9mms I own.

It's hard to beat the combination of power, capacity, and affordability of a 9mm. You can also get virtually any gun in 9mm, which isn't necessarily the case with larger calibers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.