Everyday carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by mahall, May 2, 2013.

1. mahall

mahall New Member

Looking at the Ruger SP101 357 mag for everyday carry!! I've read nothing but good reviews on this gun!! I've seen them from 475 to 600 new! Anybody own this gun, that can verify "good everyday carry"??

2. mahall

mahall New Member

Love the hidden hammer for smooth carry

image-2113596088.jpg

3. fupuk

fupuk New Member

My father in law has one and he carried it for a while, now he carries a Lcp but the sp101 is a great gun. He took it with him hog hunting and took a hog with the sp101 from about 20yards. He carried his in a pocket holster but hes 6' 9" about 320lbs. So it fit very easily in his pocket.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

6'9, 320! I bet it was intimidating picking her up for that first date.

5. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I have one and I love it. It is a 5 round work horse that will out live you with proper care. I didn't like the factory grips but Hogue makes a set that work and feel great, I think I paid $15 for them. Hard to beat a Ruger.

Attached Files:

6. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Actually I knew him for almost four years before I met his daughter, we work together and his daughter started working on the same shift as me.

7. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I have one that I love to carry,the simply rugged silver dollar pancake is a great especially with the IWB straps, and Won't break the your wallet either!

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Had one. My only complaint was the weight for it's size.

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I just had a thought on what Ruger's motto should be, "Weighs more than you think."

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been CC for 40+ years. When I can I carry a full size 9 (5903/6906 or M&P) but my maine 'go to' gun otherwise is my sp101. good choise!:D

11. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I carried one for a few months. It was the exposed hammer 2" model. It's not bad, but I have better revolvers for EDC. I thought it was heavy for it's size, but for the price it's pretty good. Consider a spring kit.

It's a solid and reliable gun, it shoots well for the barrel length, and the grip fit my hand well. The recoil was very manageable for me.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  12. mdauben

mdauben New Member

[quote="Doc3402]"I thought it was heavy for it's size, but for the price it's pretty good. [/quote]
    Personally, I consider the weight a positive quality if you want to shoot .357 ammo. The S&W alloy j-frames are great for .38 spl but I find them painful to shoot with .357 ammo. IMO even the snubbie SP101 is a belt gun, not a pocket gun.

13. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I give anyone props who shots a revolver. I absolutely do not enjoy shooting one and am not very accurate with one.

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Agreed, but moreso, I give props to anyone who carries one for CCW. I can't imagine it.

15. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm pretty lucky not to be recoil sensitive, but I can understand what you're saying.

Maybe I can be a little more clear on what I mean about the weight. My two serious carry .357's have been a S&W Mod 60 2" and the SP101 2". Both are stainless. The SP101 carries heavier than the 60, and in fact is heavier by roughly 3 ounces. The SP 101 is also longer by just over 1/2 inch.

If you are a larger or heavier framed person these differences won't amount to much. With my lack of padding it makes a difference by the end of the day. It's not bad, and for the price difference it wouldn't be a deal killer if I was buying a new gun, but I did feel it was worth mentioning.

16. danolator

danolator New Member

I have the SP101 357 w/3" barrel. It is a bit heavy & long for my everyday CCW, but I have no issues holstering that bad boy when I open carry. The SP101 is about as rugged a weapon as you will find.

17. bbertram

bbertram New Member

Rugged and reliable. I have the SP101, snubbie in .38 special, since I KNEW I wasn't going to shoot .357 rounds thru a snubnose. I recently sold a Ruger Security Six, stainless, that had about 3000 rounds thru it. I've had that one since 1971, and it still looks and acts like new. Can't beat a Ruger when you're talking revolvers. :)
    Brent

18. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

The basic SP101 comes with a normal hammer. You can get factory replacement by sending the gun back to Ruger. The bobbed hammer is definitely worth getting.

19. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

My son has one of these with the Hogue grips. They make a huge difference.

20. danolator

danolator New Member

Agreed. There are things Ruger just refuses to upgrade. I put on Hogue grips before the very first .357 round was fired in mine.