Ever wonder just how fast your PC is

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, May 12, 2009.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Have you ever wondered just how fast your pc is surfing the net?

You can use this web site to check your speed.

I am lucky as I am running 25mb+ download and 4mb upload speeds.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay, that is just frickin cool!!

I am 2.87 download and 2.73 upload, I would assume that Megs Per Second (??)

Thanks Tango, I can't wait to test my home connection, I know that damn thing sucks.

*shaking fist as Qwest*

3. cbw

cbw New Member

Yeah cool, I've seen this site and my machine is so slow I don't get to a MPS in either direction. Can you say slow. What do you know about the new 3 and 4 G network speeds?

4. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

11mbs DL and 2mbs UL
    Thanks Tango

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

350 on both
    The company just got me a new Dell.
    :D

6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

127Mb download, 9.9Mb upload.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Mark F what are you running on? 127mbps WOW are you on a T3 or T1 line?

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I got a 3 g phone and the 3g should be a 3mbps download speed. 4g is suposed to be 4mbps. I never ever get that kind of speed on my phones. It may be faster on a laptop with a 3g USB dongle. Yes I said DONGLE......

9. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

They are talking Megs Per Seconds but it is Megabits not Megabytes. A byte is 8 bits, so if you have a 10MB file, that is 80 million bytes (or more depending are parity).

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

11. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I have dial-up....why bother:(

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Oh, okay. So it is Megs per second, but not Bytes. Ooops. :eek:

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You want to see something cool do this.

Click start

Click run

type cmd

click enter

A black box opens up.

type tracert www.firearmstalk.com

Then watch the magic happen.

What this is telling you is each and every router that your packets go threw to get back and forth from here to your home computer.

I use this tool when I am war driving to really fook with people. I will find unsecured wireless network and log on to it and run this get the ip to their router and access it and change all the security settings.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I think this kind of admission of guilt belongs in the Bunker... LOL

You better check the front windows Tango, the Black SUV's and the Uber Choppers are probably circling now..... :D:D

JD

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Truthfully, I have no idea what any of this stuff does, what it's for, or why I need it. :confused:

I just use my laptop (hp dv6000,windows vista, AMD 64x2,wi-fi) with the fastest speed I can get from cox communications. Things go pretty fast, so I'm good. lol....

16. Yunus

Yunus New Member

21 down 3 up.... so it says. I believe the Comcast prioritizes packets to certain sites like this one. In reality I can sustain about 1 meg a second down = to 8 megabits as advertised by ISP's.

I also have wireless and leave it wide open. Anyone wants to use it, I'm happy to let them, although I do have wireless administration disabled to stop people like Cpttango. But my wireless signal doesn't really reach much past the outside walls of my house and it won't work outside my property (.25 acres) so I figure anyone close enough to get a signal is someone I have allowed in my home for the most part.

Also I use speedtest.net cause they make cool graphics
    [​IMG]

17. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

9,513 kbps download and 13,633 kbps upload

Where does that stand in the order of things? :confused:

18. WDB

WDB New Member

That's cool!
    I got 361kb download and 94kb upload. I don't know if it good or bad except my upload speed it much slower so I might need to upgrade the desktop computer.

19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Those numbers are more than sufficient for anyone who doesn't have a specific need for more bandwidth. It's unusual that you have more upload than download but not a good or bad thing since I assume you don't host any web servers. Think of it like this, you have a sports car with a top speed of 9,500, but traffic flow on average won't let you get above 1,000-2,000 on a regular basis.

I doubt its your desktop causing the slowdown. My guess by those speeds is that your on DSL. Having a much lower upload speed is normal and is nothing to worry about for most web browsers. You download all the information and picutres on a webpage with a simple small request which is the upload(the text in your browser bar tells your internet provider what web site you are looking for). It's not that simple but you get the idea.

Just for reference, I am a heavy computer user, I have downloaded 127 gigs in the last 2 months and uploaded 21 gigs. And I guarantee I upload as a percentage of total usage more than most on this board.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  20. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

dial up? what the hell is that? lol After everyone posted their speeds I started to feel inadequate, but then I realized that I have a BIG Hard.....Drive to over compensate. lol:D