Ever used grease (not oil) when cleaning & lubing?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by StainlessSteel215, Dec 4, 2012.

1. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Im intrigued by some of the heavier lube products out there....in grease form. Obviously there is a big difference between oil and grease. Grease stays where you put it while oil runs all over.

I pretty much stick with Hoppes 9 solvent & oil combined with Ballistol when cleaning/lubing.....but could be persuaded to try some of the grease/based lubes out there.

Anyone have experience with both and prefer one over the other?

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I own a gun that recommends wd40. Lol

Not same thing just Thot it was sort of on topic

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What gun recommends WD-40. That is not a lubricant, it is a water displacer and rust buster. Not doubting what you say, just curious.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

grease works well in low dust environments especially in certain guns like the m1garand and m1a. i use 30w synthetic for lube needs. it doesnt breakdown under heat stays where put and is easily wiped off and replaced if it becomes contaminated by grit. i use clp on guns for storage or in non heat generating areas it works well in trigger assemblies.

i dont really like grease on my guns because it can be difficult to replace when it becomes contaminated by dirt and often breaks down under heat or time turning to gum. oil tends to just dry up and takes many cycles of inattention to gum up a firearm.

just my opinion take it for what its worth

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I don't mind being called out, I fully endorse it in fact, thus I take no offense, I consider it intelligent to doubt everything everyone says. I'm pretty sure it's my derringer. I always read my manuals, even though they always say the same things lol. But now I'm going to have to go back and prove to myself that I'm recalling it correct.

Or could've been one of my cheapo Jimenezes.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  6. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I use both...
    But not one or the other because they are used to do different things.
    I lubricate with oil but for the slides and rails (metal parts that interact by constant side by side motion) I use light grease.
    Either Enos' Slide Glide or Mil Comm TW25b.

I do this on every gun, each and every time I clean & relube after shooting.

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I use BraKleen and TriFlow.

8. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

After having many occurences of dirty gun, I use no grease, and very little CLP.
    Life is good now.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I sometimes have put special grease on the sears on certain guns. Just a little better pull.....

10. climate17

climate17 New Member

I use tetra lube and its similar to a greece.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Rig Lube +P for my stainless pistols. Doubles as a resizing lube for dificult cases. Grease can capture grit, but it also can form a barrier to such grit.

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

Buddy of mine bought a Kimber Desert Warrior and cleaned and lubed it with WD40 before I could get a hold of it. Worked fine, but I CLP'd after he shot it and laughed my a$$ off!

13. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I use a grease called TW25B extreme performance synthetic lubricant on some of my firearms.

A little pricey, but it's good stuff.....

[​IMG]

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ya know why it takes 500,000 sperm to fertlize one egg?

Being male, they will not read the directions.

MOST gun makers have instructions for the maintenance of what they make. Their are some points (and climates) for light oil. Some points for grease. Depends on WHAT gun, what part, what climate. Firearms we used in the interior of Alaska in January had very little lube at all. M1 Garands call for grease at several points.

No one answer. I did use a light bit of white lithium on the rails of my 1911s (before that horrible boating accident)

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I use grease on the rails of my Kel Tec's. Otherwise I just use oil to lubricate and protect my guns. I use remoil on guns that are going to get cleaned often and outers on guns that are going in the safe.