Ever been PROVEN wrong? Share now.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mercator, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

One memorable time I was wrong was believing Trump would lose. Posted here, and was undecided whether to vote at all. (Did the right thing in the end)

Another time I was proven wrong when riots began over another petty street crook, in St Louis. That one was so obviously guilty that I put my faith in my fellow citizens to holler for a few hours and disperse. They proved me wrong.

Also argued that the (original) Mauser bolt handle was bent not curved. That one may never be exculpated.

What’s in your closet?

towboater likes this.
  2. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

I remember convincing my wife that the Air Force always gives plenty of time for PCS moves because she was afraid we would get some short notice deal to pack our bags and move quickly. About a month later the Air Force decided my skill set was needed on the opposite side of the country...and we were relocated in a little over thirty days! About five months prior she had asked if I had ever been recalled on a holiday (it was Christmas Eve), and I told her they never do that unless we are no kidding going to war. The phone rang about two hours later; our entire wing was being recalled on Christmas Eve! It turned out we were recalled for search and rescue of a couple downed flyers in the Atlantic Ocean and our infrared and low light level cameras were desired. As a whole, we were glad to put our efforts into saving the two. Sadly only one was found and rescued.

towboater and Mercator like this.

3. Mercator

Outside this forum I need not recall being wrong ever. My wife owns a catalog of my mistakes, timed and dated, fully interactive with the soul search engine :D

4. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

All women have a file stored in their brain. It stores everything in great detail times dates etc, of things you did that irritated them ready for instant access. That file will be accessed every time there is a disagreement and relayed to you in every detail. :)

towboater likes this.
  5. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Ah, the Mannlicher-Schoenauer. (I don't blame you.) Whatever one calls it, it's a beauty. I wouldn't kick it out of the safe, not for love or money.

Proven wrong, early 1980s: that picking up several old, pre-war, near-unused Oberndorf Mausers and a handful of great-condition 1927 Thompson .45s was a bad idea, that it'd take forever for the value to appreciate sufficiently to be considered an "investment." Good heavens, what a blunder. Never to be exculpated, too, I suspect. :(

towboater and Mercator like this.
  6. G66enigma

Hmph. You, too?

Thereapy sessions are every third Tuesday, 7pm. Londstanding vet, here. :p

7. Mercator

Oh boy. That’s a major. You’re gonna answer for that one to Charlton the Moses... at the gates... :D

8. G66enigma

Yeah, I know. Went on a trip instead (months' long). Great trip, by the way. But, still ... what a cosmic blunder that was. Would have paid for a couple of degrees and probably half the first house, by the time those puppies had appreciated. And I've spent 30+ years "appreciating" that, since. Arrgghghghghghghg!

Therapy sessions for blunders like that? First Wednesdays of the month, 8pm. (Charter member, myself.)

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Not buying Mosin Nagant rifles with all the accessories for $30 each. Why would I want that piece of junk.

towboater likes this.
  10. G66enigma

Never did those, myself. Don't really like heavy "kick" rifles, or hand "cannons."

My ugly miss was: M1 Carbines, back in the 1980s, when they could be had for a song. A buddy of mine picked a couple up the prior decade for about what you paid for the Mosin, there. Originals, matching serials ... and I'm sure he could sell either for >$1K today. Ah, well. They come and they go. Hopefully, CMP will get handed a thousand crates of "give-backs" that get found in some dusty, cosmoline-stuffed basement somewhere. That'd be nice.

towboater likes this.
  11. Mercator

Their memory is photographic, just scary sometimes. Not only for grudges, everything domestic. Remember the house we looked at in 2003? And the anniversaries, holy cow. Wonder if anyone studied this phenomenon.

On the other hand... Why is my Apple ID not working? Ok let’s see. Because it’s your AT&T ID! Why does it have to be separate? I don’t know honey, can you write it down? I AM TOO BUSY CLEANING AFTER YOU AND RAISING YOUR SON!! YOU STRAIGHTEN IT OUT! :D

G66enigma and ellis36 like this.
  12. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Once back in 1981.

JimRau likes this.
  13. G66enigma

Yes. They're gone, now.

towboater likes this.
  14. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong. :D

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Several Times! When you live as long as some of us here have the odds are against you being right all the time!
    I was married years ago and like many got a divorce after my kids were raised and out of High School and on their own.
    Met a great lady later on! She I guess, was getting fond of me and started the I Love You theme. I advised her if she wanted a good relationship over time we could possibly have one. But if she was looking to marry and a husband, as kindly as I could, if that was the case I told her there is the door!
    We were together over 20 years and got married 10 years ago! We have now been with each other for 30 years. From the start Life is good for both of us even today!:) She is a Jewel! Helps with my business, loves nature, wild life, guns, shooting, fishing and what I like! She has her own rifles and pistols and Rods and Reels! GALS like her are hard to find!;)
    Yep! I guess I would have to admit I was truly Proven Wrong!:rolleyes:

towboater likes this.
  16. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

No. I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

17. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Lately? Absolutely. In a big way.

18. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member