Even the experienced need to pay attention

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Yunus, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I was out shooting today and got complacent. It's been a while since I have shot pistol, probably 2 or 3 months. So I was at the range and followed all the safety procedures, made sure I had my ears on, range was hot and safe and I pulled the trigger. Well, like I said I haven't shot for a couple months and got complacent. My non shooting hand rested on top of my shooting hand and I ended up getting bit on the thumb by the slide after the first shot. Nothing serious just a small cut but it's a good reminder that even those who have experience shooting need to remember the basics and continually avoid being complacent. I lost situational awareness and overlooked something simple. It happens to everyone, this post is just a reminder that experience is not a replacement for common sense and good judgement and to think about what you are doing when you are shooting. It's not a dangerous hobby, if it is practiced properly.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks for sharing, it happens to the best all the time. Glad your alright.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Was your thumb behind the slide? That is why I try to keep the same grip (or close to it) for both revolvers and semi-autos.

4. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Yep, gotta watch that stuff.
    Just be glad you didn't go from an auto to a revolver and leave your support hand along the cylinder! :eek:

5. WDB

WDB New Member

Thanks for the reminder, it's the little things (like this) that prevent the bigger things.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

lol i have trouble remembering that one!! i dont shoot revolver much fortunately the one i have is pretty big and i really gotta reach to get in front of the cylinder.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My grip never varies.