Ethical Question: Conversion Barrels

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by nukinfuts29, Jun 12, 2012.

1. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I'm all for any and all gun rights. Personally I don't think any law should be imposed on anything to do with guns, but that is another topic.

Despite my feelings I can't help but wonder if conversion barrels are a good thing. Image a guy has a .40S&W, we will say Glock for this example. He gets a 9MM Lone Wolf conversion barrel for it. Goes out, kills someone, puts the factory barrel back in and destroys the conversion barrel.

Now the cops are out there looking for a 9MM, and he has a .40S&W.

Thoughts? Feels like this is something we should not allow. I'm conflicted.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

We know such conversions exist. Ballistics comparisons on bullets are a thing of the past. The shell casing is the object of comparison now. I guess you can buy another slide and replace the ejector in addition to the barrel, so you might just as well get another gun for the money it would take to "rebuild" the murder weapon.

3. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Anything can be used wrong. You could just destroy a gun or change out the barrel extractor and firing pin. The thing is it is all premeditated so it is the act of a criminal and they will find a way. For myself I have inserts for my DB 12ga so if I don't have shotgun shells I can use other ammo. Those of us that keep it legal shouldnt be ruled by what someone with criminal intent might do.

other ammo

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I never thought about the casing and the ejector, good points.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I could use a Dan Wesson, leave no casings at the site of the deed, swap barrels in 30 seconds, and melt the barrel.

Or I could spend an hour buffing the bore with J-B Bore shine, and you will play hell getting a ballsitic match.

BTW, I shoot some Remington Accelerator rifle loads. Ever see those? Bullet is in a plastic sabot, which usually travels only a couple of feet. Bullets never touch the rifling, and have NO markings of lands and grooves.

The same gasoline you put in your car is used to make firebombs. You cannot legislate morality- you can only punish misdeeds.

6. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Not sure why i even questioned myself. Momentary lapse I guess

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

How would you feel about my Medusa?? 20+ calibers from the same revolver... :p

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

hey now, you have no proof that that was the intent of what i was doing :cool: :p

9. c3shooter

Says the man with no eyebrows! :p

10. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

^ that plus most criminals are not smart enough to think of doing that. The ones that are smart enough usually get away with it. For instance murders where the perpetrater is a stranger to the victim have a very low solve rate to begin with and when the murderer does anything to throw off investigators it usually isn't solved. These murders go unsolved because the first thing most investigations consider is motive and, when someone's motive is just to commit murder on someone they usually have planned it and have forensic counter measures.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you punish the person. the object has no evil or good intentions and is only the instrument used by the person doing the deed.

12. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

The shot gun adapters would be worse than the barrel swaps . Fire a 9mm out of a 12ga and they are sure to catch hell on everything

13. c3shooter

The simple way that criminals avoid that problem- is to use a stolen gun. What do you do with the gun?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EJnEXuUR54[/ame]

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I can see the tool mark on the case thing to a point but wouldn't a lot of those scratches not be the same as he drop in barrel has the new and improved chamber that the case goes in and out of? And the exreactor wouldn't look all that much the same on a different caliber. Maybe one of those 357 Sig/40S&W things?

I'm far form being really in the know about such things but it seems that the only place that would be consistant at all would be on the case rim. Robo, being your experience in such matters I have to trust your judgement on the issue. But it just don't seem like it would work that consistently.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something. :eek:

As to the conversion bbl; Really any bbl. that can be dropped in to attempt to cover a bad persons tracks. Gave a Glock19? get get another barrel of the same caliber.
    Lets say for the sake of argument that this trick would fool all those TV CSI people. Would it be justifiable to discipline the good guy gun owner for the misdeeds of the bad people? It's this mind set that gets gun control laws passed. Someone could spray a bunch of people with a Tommy Gun. So is it fair to make laws that restrict the ability to own one even if you have no intention. of spraying lead into a crowd?

Curtailing our liberties for the sake of security is just a tactic used by those that wish to control us.

15. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

You always have the firing pin , from what I understand they can be pretty distinct .

2 words ...... shell catchers
    then you have the ice bullet :D

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's a pretty safe bet that the firing pin is micro stamped if its a new gun anyway. You can bet if they find the casing it can be traced back to the shooter, may take a long time, but it can be traced.

17. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

micro stamping huh .... new one to me , a pass or two with a file will take care of that but then you have file marks in the primer

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Really? You didn't know about micro stamping? It's kinda cool. I've read a lot of reports etc on it. They put a series of codes on the end of the firing pin. A line code an alpha-numeric code and a gear like code. Gives all the information on the gun. It's so small you need an electron microscope to see it but its enough to transfer to the primer. It's basically good for around 3000 shots after that it starts to degrade.

19. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Nope , I had no clue but I umm do some mods and cleaning on all my guns , I get a little dremel tool happy , polish this and that , take a edge off here ect ect . I would pay extra to have Fuc* you stamped on my pins lmao
    Lmao , could you imagine the csi workers face when they see that one under a scope ? lmao

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That would be fantastic! Lmfao