Estimating Distance

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Bravo_Sixx, May 21, 2013.

1. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

Without having a spotting scope or some other range finder, what is the best practice at estimating distance to a target? In order to spin the right amount, let's say, or perhaps practice hold-overs. I'm not very good a range estimation ....

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you have a scope on your rifle, use the reticle to see how big a common object is at different ranges. I know for an object that is 1 ft in diameter, it will cover from HERE to THERE at 100, from THIS to THAT at 200, etc. Does not have to be a rangefinder or MilDot scope to do that- they just do it better.

3. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

Right on, c3 ... great advise to add to my training the next time I go shooting -- I'll bring my ruler as well to catch a fence post or something. Thanks man!

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Thats why I have a mil dot scope on my bolt gun , I know when I look thru it if the man sized steel target goes from one mil to another at 6x its 100 yards 3/4 mil to mil 200 yards and so forth

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Got a smart phone? I use the "and measure" app, it meshes Google earth with a range finder by clicking points. It also measures area.

6. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

COOL! I'll have to check into that ...

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I love it. I was fishing a pond in north Carolina, and we started arguing over the acreage of the pond. I plotted twenty or so points,around the perimeter, and later found out I was about a third of an acre off in my measurement. That was in an 15 acre pond iirc.

8. TreyB55

TreyB55 New Member

I use "GPS Range Finder" simply enough. It's rather accurate.

9. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Range finder, dont leave home without it!!

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Thanks for the info. Just downloaded app on mine. And it works too! :D