Essex Frame

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Shihan, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I found a 1911 with an Essex frame and a 1938 Colt slide, is this a good combo or should I keep looking?

2. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

no

It's crap. By the way where is it located. Just jerking you around. There are to many variables here. FIT? extras? sights? custom work?

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

There's nothing wrong with Essex frames. The question is how well is it all put together and how does it shoot?

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

CA hit the nail on the head. There are very few folks I'd buy a "built" gun from...

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

How much do they want for it? How well does it seem to be fitted? Extras? We need more information, and it would be best to actually take it to a gunsmith to be checked out. Are you in a position to be able to try it out before buying?

I have built "budget" 1911s from Essex frames/slides that shot very well indeed. The key to building a good 1911 lies more in the fitting/tuning than in the brand name. Building a 1911 involves more than assembling. Having said that, I'd be slightly leery of a "parts gun" unless you know it was built right or can get it for a GREAT price so you can afford to work on it/change parts as wanted. My personal choice for frames is Caspian if I'm building from the ground up.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

They are asking $599. It has been refinished by them. The shop is called Tiller & Lanier Guns. Full service Gunsmithing and sales. Been there over 30 years. Very good to deal with.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

IMHO, $600 is a lot of money for a build gun I know nothing about. My NIB Colt Commander was exactly $96 more - and I know exactly what I have. This gun may well be worth what they're asking but without looking at it - who knows...

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

That price is a bit steep for a used mixed parts 1911. You can buy a new 1911 for that. Unless it's set up nicely (the way you want) I would keep looking or order something like a Taurus PT1911, Springfield, or Para Ordnance Expert, or GI model.

9. CA357

I'll second what the Bear said. :cool:

10. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

It's usually a pretty safe bet to second anything that Bear says.

-Fred

11. CA357

Then there's that too. ;)

12. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

X-3 on that................

Jim............