Eradicated my pond destroyer

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Triumphman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Seen it on the pond bank early this morning, but when I went and got my weapon of choice, it disappeared.
    Waited all day and just after 7:30 this evening I saw it's head sticking out of the hole. Let's try this again.

Grabbed my rifle and gently opened the back door. Why, when you're trying to be quiet as a mouse, all doors squeak like they're over a loud speaker?

Anyway, got out onto my deck, where I had a good look-see through my scope on 9 power, and adjusted my side focus between 50 and 100yds and I could see that varmint trying to hide behind some weeds. You can't fool me, I've been at this too long. Long story short, here's proof.

Used Marlin VRX 17HMR using Hornady 17gr. Entered just in front of shoulder and no exit wound. I think I shattered the neck. Don't know why pic is on side, I righted it in photo album.

Attached Files:

2. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

OK Triumphman, I am Ignorant, what kind of creature is that? a muskrat?

3. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

It's a young Groundhog.

She probably weighed around 15#s. No family and teeth were still white, and I estimated max 2yrs old.

I've shot one once that weighed around 30#s. They can get big.

4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

They can get big. I've shot more of them than any other animal.

Congrats on your triumph, man.

5. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

OH ok, we've got marmots up here but they don't stick around civilization they're fox, coyote and wolf food. Oh and raptors.
    They are also "fur bearers " that means trapping only ( some fur bearers are also classified as game and can be hunted with firearms but NOT marmots ).

6. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Maybe he was looking for his "Shadow"? :D

7. Caribou

Caribou Member

Well, he certainly got shaded.:D

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

How do they destroy ponds?

9. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

They dig into the banks. I've seen whole ditch banks collapse because of them.

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If an earthen dam was used to create the pond, the groundhogs digging their burrows can be detrimental to said dam.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

12. MetalWolf

MetalWolf New Member

Can you eat such a creature wonder if it tastes like chicken :popcorn:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  13. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Yes, you can eat them MetalWolf. There's some recipes on the net.

They're grazers like cattle. Be like eating a rabbit or squirrel.

It was late before I got this one and I'm trying to get our freezers down to where I can put some deer meat in them this season, so I didn't skin out this lil varmint. It became coyote chowder this time.

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Well done.

A friend complained about beavers building a dam in his pond. (I saw it, it was the size of a good excavator scoop). He earnestly said, "I have a serious beaver problem" . He has been quoted since :D

15. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Of course. Look at us, a starving nation :D

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Yes, and they certainly can cause problems with building foundations, and fence post support as well. They can be very destructive for those who have never experienced them. Not to mention dens in areas where cattle are raised can cause possible injury. Triumphman, good shooting and a great rifle! I have a Marlin 940-V 17 HMR with a Rifle Basics trigger in it. And it is one of my favorite rifles of all I have. And costs much less to shoot! I have the most fun with it. It is "extremely accurate" and the velocity is around 2500 fps!
    You brought back great memories with your post and thank you! Years ago when I lived in Indiana as a young man. I shot hundreds of Ground Hogs! Actually did some of my best studying for College while on a friends farm doing my college lessons. Mostly on the weekends while scanning over the valley below from my fire point on the hill watching for Ground Hogs. Periodically while reading and studying one of the critters would appear. When I saw one he was mine! "MOST OF THE TIME! :p At the time I used my Remington 788 in 22-250. Or 700 V in 243 Winchester. Little did I know I was improving my marksmanship skills for later in life! But what enjoyment and fun I had!:D
    Keep up the good shooting! Keep us informed and "Have Fun!" The Marlin 17HMR Varmint series rifles is a great inexpensive rifle for those wanting a great little light critter rifle! And Groundhog hunting, Muskrats, Prairie Dogs, Crows and the like are great targets for the 17 HMR Rifles. And the good news is, Ammo costs about $12-$15 for 50 rounds and they are readily available. Savage makes a great little 17 HMR varmint rifle as well! Both are very affordable as well!
    Again Have Fun!

MtalWlof,
    By the way young Ground Hog is GOOD eating! Stop and think! They are vegetarians!
    A little BBQ Sauce also adds to the cuisine!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  17. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

They're weather predictions are not always accurate. :mad:

18. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

If you think a Ground Hog or a Rock Chuck taste like a rabbit you have never tasted either one. :D

19. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Had that problem too. Walking around our pond I would step onto soft spots. Figured maybe it was moles. Nope. Mowing one day the rear tire on my ZTR collapsed into a 2'x6' trench.
    Don't know about eating them, but you can leave them out to bait the coyotes.

20. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Everyone I've talked to that has tried them said they are great: head shoot a young one and cook it like a beef roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions. It is like a mild beef.

I can buy chicken for a dollar a pound, so I haven't tried one yet.