ER wait times...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JW357, Sep 16, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Why the crap does it take so long to be seen in an ER. Every time we've had to come here we've waited at least two or more hours before we were even seen.

Wtf.

I realize there's people that got here first.... But come on. When you tell someone your current pain level is an "8 or 9," damn near two hours is completely unacceptable.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Some Medicare and Medicaid policies only cover emergency medicine. They don't have coverage for a primary physician.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yeah. Well when we got here there was literally only one or two people in the waiting room before us. So either a whole bunch of people were given rooms right before we got here or there's something fishy going on...

4. MisterMcCool

It's not the baby is it?

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

No. The baby's good, thank God. My wife is pretty sick. I think she'll be ok. We finally got into a room in the ER.

6. MisterMcCool

Good luck and get well soon.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks bud. :)

8. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

It's all triage. You're not always going to die of 8 or 9 pain level despite how crappy that feels if its a migraine for example. You'll get bumped for higher triage cases. Heart or abdominal pain 8/10 - yeah, you might want to rattle some cages there.

If its really bad, call 911 and they'll get you right in. Usually if you can drive in, it's not always urgent. I'm not kidding or minimizing what happened. I was a medic and we had BS calls that went right in to the ER mostly because they didn't have any other transport, while the waiting room was packed with people that were sick, but could drive in. Chest pain, abdominal pain, stroke symptoms, and obvious trauma get in first. .

9. trauma35

trauma35 New Member

To add on some very good points;
    8/10 pain has to look like 8/10. (Not saying anything about your situation) just I've seen people complain of 10+/10 sit on a stretcher and text/laugh/move freely. I guess I come from a different background but anything above an 8/10 I'd be screaming my brains out.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Update: still in the hospital. Looks like they are going to do a spinal-tap to test for meningitis.

11. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

That sucks. I've had meningitis. That is the last time I even came close to feeling like crying from pain. I was on the verge. So i believe the 8/10 pain if thats what it is. It took me about 5 minutes to get a room because I started puking my brains out right when I got to the hospital. They wouldn't give me any pain meds either until they could give me an MRI and spinal tap. I ended up staying there for 11 days.

I hope it's not meningitis. But if it is it's good that you got to the hospital quick.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

That sounds awful. I hope its not that too.

We to here quick because she called her OB and told her her symptoms. Uhh let's see: splitting headache, extreme sensitivity to light, freezing cold yet a temperature of 100.6, piercing pain when she lowers her chin to her chest, barely able to walk (driving was simply out of the question), I might've missed something. Oh and she's had the headaches for five days now (the other symptoms just came today).

The OB told her to go to the ER immediately because she just described the symptoms for meningitis. So, glad she called the Doc.

And yes they did the spinal tap. Waiting on the results now.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Speaking of abdominal pain. I basically owe my wife my life. Over Christmas break last year I was having some pretty extreme pain in the lower abdomen. I was going to write it off. For a couple reasons: 1) I figured I'm just out of shape 2) I don't like gong to the doctor and especially the hospital 3) I've been in pain before, never been that big of a deal.

But my wife could see my anguish. She convinced me to go into the ER. Good thing, too. Turns out I had appendicitis. To make it worse, my appendix was gangrenous. Had I waited another day or less, it would have ruptured (the surgeon told me that). Gangrenous appendix rupturing into the body? Never good, I was told it can be fatal if not treated very quickly.

So they removed my appendix just a couple hours after I arrived at the ER. Stayed n the hospital for another three days, which seems like a long time because I know another lady who had hers taken out at this hospital and she was discharged just a day later.

Yes, I was in the hospital over Christmas Day.

I believe I have my wife to thank for my life today.

14. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Damn. She's got them all. I had the headache and that's it. I woke up at 4 am and told my mom I need to go to the hospital and looked up the symptoms of meningitis. I remember saying "it's not meningitis. My neck doesn't even hurt." luckily I went anyway. I had a mild headache for a couple days before it turned into a lightning bolt in my brain. It sounds like you may have got there just in time if those symptoms just came on. Meningitis moves quick.

I'm not an expert but I went through it and picked up on information when my doctor was kind enough to spare 2 extra minutes on top of the obligatory 30 second visits. There are three types which are meningococcal, bacterial, and viral with severity in that order. I had bacterial. If she had meningococcal it probably would have moved quicker. Bacterial is manageable if you catch it in time which it sounds like you did. Viral is the least severe and they don't really do much for it except wait it out.

Bacterial Meningitis is sh!tty but with (strong) antibiotics everything should be fine. It's not fun but hey, I'm still here. I know a guy who had the worst kind and he's still here. It's about catching it fairly quick and not trying to tough it out.

Still, I hope it's not that just because it's a pretty crappy thing to go through. Keep us updated.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks man, of course I'll keep y'all posted.

Actually the doctor just came in literally as I'm typing this post. He says the results came back, its not meningitis. There's apparently a virus that has been going around which mimics it, though. He said most people he's treated recently for it, their headaches went away after about five or six days, so hers should be leaving tomorrow.

Good news, all things considered.

16. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Yeah that's great news! Meningitis was the crappiest thing I've been through. Survivable does not equal enjoyable. Lol. That's weird that it mimics all those symptoms, though. I bet that's a weight off your shoulders.

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yeah. Definitely pretty happy. Aso happy that we will be able to go home and go to sleep soon, and she can keep breastfeeding the boy (hard to so if she's in the hospital).

18. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

And impossible with meningitis and pain meds. I forgot that you just had a baby. Congrats if I didn't already say so and sounds like you dodged a bullet.

19. unclebear

unclebear New Member

If you ain't bleeding on the floor or dying right there on the counter they'll make you wait. I went to the ER after getting hit in the head by a 300 pound I beam that we were moving with a shop crain, it hit me hard enough to split my skalp and make me see double. I waited an hour while still bleeding and fighting not to sleep and ended up walking out of there with 10 stitches and a "serious" concussion. This was in Louisville so that might also be why.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you want to get in the ER fast call an ambulance. You will be seen right away if you come in via ambulance. For some reason if you are driven or can drive yourself to the hospital you can wait until they get around to seeing you. I went to a hospital with fiberglass resin in my eye. The triage nurse said it would be a couple hours before they could see me. We hopped in the truck and went to another hospital and they treated me right away.