Equivelent of .308 Win?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Sheepdog Dan, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Sheepdog Dan

Sheepdog Dan New Member

Can anyone please tell me the difference between a 7.62X54 (aka .308 win) and a 7.62X54R?? Are these ammo's interchangeable? :confused:

2. SIGe-nox

SIGe-nox New Member

I believe that the 7.62x54R is the round that has the rim on the bullet (like a revolver bullet case) and the otherone does not. I have shot the 7.62x54R out of a Mosin Nagant and a fun found. I have shot the .308 out of the FNAR, also a helluva round. Im not sure what else the difference is. R mayb stands for "Russian?"

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Here we go again.

7.62 X 54R is NOT the same as .308. It is the Russian MG/Bolt action rifle round. The R is for "Rimmed". The Russian round looks more like the .303 British than anything from the US

The NATO round 7.62 X 51 is very similar but not quite the same as the .308 Win.

4. SIGe-nox

SIGe-nox New Member

I wikipediad the rounds and i was right. The "R" stands for russian, and is an older military round used by the russians mostly. The .308 is a rimless modern rifle round used in our military. Basically just the casing is different.

5. robocop10mm

No the R is for Rimmed. This is a standard European designation for rimmed cartridges. There is a 7 X 57R, an 8 X 57R versions of the Mauser bolt gun rounds. These were intended for double rifles and Drillings.

I read the Wikipedia article and it does not say the R stands for Russian. The nickname of the cartridge is the 7.62 Russian. That is just a nickname.

I'm sorry if I came off so pissy but Wikipedia is a lousy source of accurate information.

6. robbo60

robbo60 New Member

Robocop is correct.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

As far as I know, ballistically, the 7.62X54R is closer to a .30-06 than the .308.

8. 1hole

1hole New Member

Confusion of this type can easily be cleared up by refering to any common reloading manual.

No bullet is rimmed. The "R" in a designation is for a rimmed cartridge, not "Russian."

If Wackeypedia says otherwise, it's wrong. Again.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok the 308 NATO designation is 7,62x51mm The 7,62x53Rmm (Called the 7.62x54Rmm) is a Rimmed round form Russia made for the 1891 Mosin Nagant rifle.

Bore diameter for these rifles were very inaccurate due to grossly over sized bores of .316" .308" bullets don't shoot well.

The ammo is in no way the same and is in no way interchangable. The 7.62x54mm runs at about 45,000 PSI.

the 7.62x51mm NATO or 308 win ( Don't start with the they are not the same crap OK I know that) also called the T-65. We the USA threw our weight at NATO to make them adopt that round and it is still in service today. the 7.62NATO runs around 50,000 PSI. That is a big difference in pressure.

10. Sheepdog Dan

Sheepdog Dan New Member

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR YOU INPUT! You have proven my point well that gun enthusiists are always willing to help a fellow shooter. A friend at work needed this information and apparently needed to hear it from someone other than me (LOL). cpttango30, your information was particularly helpful regarding the oversized bore and the subsequent degradation of accuracy, as that was one of the issues we were discussing and ironically he had just purchased that very rifle :eek: (in addition to the fact that the ammo was NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!) After all I have only been a military and LE sniper for over a decade so I, of course have NO exposure to any of these concepts ;). Thanks again everybody!

11. robbo60

robbo60 New Member

I have been told by my Vietnam vet brothers that the VC would use our captured 7.62 x 51 nato ammo in their Nagants. But our troops of course could not use their 7.62 x 54r ammo. We would just destroy it.

12. robocop10mm

Military legend propogated by many chairborne rangers.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You don't know that Robo cause you wasn't there.