Epic Album of 2009

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by user4, Jan 2, 2010.

1. user4

user4 New Member

Listened to a buttload of music this last year and there were a ton of excellent albums released. From the top of my head, I really enjoyed the new stuff from Amberlin, Breaking Benjamin, and Papa Roach, but epic album of the year goes, hands down, to Muse's Resistance, a theme album that plays like the soundtrack/score to a Scorsese movie... if he were ever to write a movie about the end times. I highly recommend to any who enjoy cerebral rock.

Muse will be touring this year, and if the album is gives us any clues, they will likely be touring with a full symphony. As I said... epic.

Can't wait to see what 2010 brings us musically, if not in terms of revolutionarily.

Viva la resistance`

2. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Hands down, Shakira's "She Wolf" album.

I don't really like her writing, style, or voice, but this album has created the most opportunity for videos I can turn the sound down on and repeat endlessly.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Cerebral rock in what regards? Like Pink Floyd, Queenscryche, Rush, Ministry, Primus, Tool, Helmet? What are they most likened to, just for my own curiosity?

4. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Checked them out on tube..

Not my cup of tea. Too much techno to me..

But then again, I'll be 45 this year so that might have effect on decision.

Disturbed has been rockin' this year !

5. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

been a lot of good music this year in my opinion.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Nope Hands down the best new album I have downloaded has been Transfers Newest Future Selves. Of course I am biased as the lead singer is my cousin and what not.

7. user4

user4 New Member

Yes, well guessed. Up til Resistance, the best theme album of all time was Operation Mindcrime

Helmet??? In that group? You are a silly silly man. Don't get me wrong, Helmet is a decent live band, but hardly cerebral. Neither is Ministry for that matter. Primus is their own genre.

Tango... Bias aside, are they any good? Always interested in new music.

8. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I don’t recognize any of these bands ,,, what kind of music do they play.. Country or Western? :cool:

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Scubie that is down the hall then take a right go down the stairs and they are in the room under the craphouse.

Very little country I listen to and most is 89 and before. None of this new age country and hip hop tennybopper crap is worth using my electricity on. Most of these new ones don't even know the difference tween a horse and a cat.

Here is a video off of another of their albums.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMfnGblXGR4[/ame]

this is my favorite song of theirs as it deals with our Uncle named Blain Osborn.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0eZimxB_eI[/ame]

Here is their web site where you can listen to all their new stuff.

Transfer :: Listen

10. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Technically, I think these two albums were from '08.... but I bought them in '09, so i'm gonna say Metallica's Death Magnetic and Nightwish, Dark Passion Play.

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I had to mix it up a bit just to get a gauge. I forgot about Clutch, though. :D

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That is funny. Like when Jake and Elwood pose as "The Good 'Ol Boys". Asked the bar lady what kind of music they like, she says both kinds. Country and Western.

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I have to go with Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl." I know that seems ghey to you metalheads, but I loves me some Van Morrison.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Oh boy we got us another Metalisuckla fan boy.

metalica hasn't been metal since OH the black album. That is kiddy pop metal.

Stopped liking them when they started crying all the time about music downloads.

15. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I, too, am a new music Luddite. Never heard of any of the groups/bands/artists mentioned. But then, I'm an old fart [​IMG] who, at 13 at the time, remembers the live broadcast (in glorious black and white) of Ed Sullivan's show when he featured that British group that all the girlies were swooning over...I think they were called The Beetles?? :rolleyes:

My musical "tastes" run the gamut from classic Rock & Roll, Country Western, Classical (you know, Bach, Beethoven and the like), R & B (the John Lee Hooker/Stevie Ray Vaughn blues type) as well as a little Reggae and Zydeco (which this song by The The has a touch of....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWv7l8Lm_A]YouTube - This is the day[/ame]).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  16. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I will admit you're right, Tango... 'Tallica HAS been going downhill ever since the black album.
    I'm just glad the newest album didn't suck nearly as bad as st. anger.
    But a sober metallica just can't produce the kind of writing and riffs that the old, cocaine-addicted metallica did.

17. AcidFlashGordon

That seems to happen to musicians a lot. Warren Zevon, during his alcoholic days, put out some kick-*** music on his first 4 albums. But after Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School (1980), he got sober and Sentimental Hygiene in 1987 actually sucked, as did much of his later work. No more "Excitable Boy" or "Werewolves of London," just uninspired pap.

18. freefall

freefall New Member

To quote the Rock Guru, Homer Simpson; "rock and roll reached its' high point in 1974". Actually, I think it was 1971 with the album "Who's Next". If I ever run for public office "Won't Get Fooled Again" will be my theme song.

19. AcidFlashGordon

Interesting choice of songs. I'd run and I think I'd use this song by Denis Leary. :rolleyes:

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Hey that is my theme song it plays when I walk down the street or drive slow in the ultra fast lane.