Epa closing last lead smelting plant in us...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by LONGHAIR, Nov 28, 2013.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

The EPA is closing the last lead smelting plant in the us on Dec.31st...That is why the Government was buying so-much ammo for the last few years.....Doe-Run plant just south of St.Louis is losing 145 workers after closing and ammo will go SKY-HIGH....Watch....If you have a older style battier in your car or motorcycle as I do with acid and lead...Again watch-out...Prices are going to go SKY-HIGH....Doe-Run was the last plant in the USA to get lead from...I guess you may be able to buy ammo from out of the country but it will cost $$$$...The NEW AMERICAN ran a artical about this back on Nov-6th-2013 and a friend of mine said her brother is losing his job over this...again this is why the Government was hording ammo as everybody was saying they where,They new this a long-time ago...I'm stocking-up on some ammo before this effect prices and avalability....You decide if I'm blowing-smoke up your a$$ or not,but after looking into this on different web-sights...I'm saying where are you going to get raw-lead from to make bullet but out side of the US...$$$$$$.....Something to think-about.....:mad:..:mad:..:mad:....

2. JWagner

JWagner New Member

The emissions rules were changed back in 2008, to become effective in 2014. So, they had a long time to think this over and evaluate the solutions. I do not know how much this will affect ammunition. Sierra Bullets issued a press release saying that this has no effect, as most ammo is made from recycled lead (think car batteries here). I believe that Hornady sent out a similar message. And, the largest primary smelter of lead is China, with Australia being second. The US was way down the list. So I fail to see how this one operation would be a major player.

edit: here is the Sierra announcement:

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/...he-lead-smelting-plant-affect-sierra-bullets/

3. winkenstein

winkenstein New Member

The sky is not falling!
    It isn't going to effect the ammo manufacturers in anyway.
    Just do a little research and you'll figure this out on your own
    [ame]http://youtu.be/K5iwrO77qdc[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Just saying at the least it will cost more $$$$$......

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I do not think so. We are talking about one place. All the lead for the ammo is not coming from this one place. If there is a rise in prices, it will be due to State and Federal taxes and laws. Not because of this one smelting plant. :D

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

They will find something to shoot-out of your gun even if it's lead-coated bullets instead of solid-lead bullets....The price has to go-up if anything....and there are just as many video's that say there will be a problem,I've seen them to....Panties are kinda bunching-up here as I set in my chair.....:eek:...

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Lead coming from over the big-pond will cost to ship...That sh!t is heavy....

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Lead coated instead of solid lead?? I am missing something.

90% of the lead used in the U.S. was mined 150 to 50 years ago. In the short term, your wrong. Long term, that could be a different story.

9. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

It looks to this Albertan like the EPA is your 4th branch of government.

10. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Yea...They don't get the oil we use from the middle-east eather but everytime they shoot-off some firecrackers over there our oil go's up in price....I'm just saying at the very least,I'm betting ammo go's-up next spring....I'm just a fool I guess....

11. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

It aint good for any companies to shut down. Period. People need jobs.

12. awahlster

awahlster New Member

Every car that is imported brings in a battery. If you actuallu google lead recycling you will see that the recycling industry is producing almost all of the lead being used for anything in this country. And right across the border in Mexico they are processing the lead from Doe Run the plant that is closing.

The sky is not falling its not even raining as far as this goes.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Perhaps I should move this to the conspiracy section. The sky is not falling. Lead prices will not be severely affected. Recycling of existing lead will continue. This does not amount to a hill of beans. Put a damp towel on your head, your hair is on fire.

14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Might not be a big deal for us, but for those that loose their job, it may be.
    Any factories shutting down is a bad thing.

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And yet imported ammo that has lead in it which comes from Mexico, Brazil, Chech Republic, Slovakia, Russia, etc. is still cheap. Their lead is smelted somewhere, and its still heavy, and it still costs less after shipping.

This has been going on for years. I don't see how shutting down one if the smallest contributors to the overall lead supply will have any drastic impact on, supply or pricing. Unless, of course gun owners continue to be their own worst enemy and freak the heck out and buy up all if the ammo on the shelves due to some contrived panic.

Calm down. Take a breath and realize that this is not a major hit in the supply chain. Try to calm others instead of giving a new "crisis" to freak out about, and idiotically dry up the ammo shelves.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  16. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Yes it is bad when a business shuts down. We lost jobs people are not working and not putting money back into the system. But, really when I looked it up they didn't make even a tiny drop of what lead we use for anything. Like said above lead recycling is where it is at now. There are also big companies that reclaim lead from shooting ranges. Most of them don't charge you the range owner/ operator to reclaim it they make all their profit from selling the reclaimed lead to the recyclers. They had 6 years to retro fit the factory to meet emission requirements and they choose to close. So blame them, the owners of the company.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Ugh. You're not too far from the truth. Please tell us it's better north of the border.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Regardless of the effect this may or may not have on ammo, I plan to get myself a cap and ball revolver anyway, and cast my own bullets. Mostly because I have a nearly unlimited, albeit kinda slow, supply of unalloyed lead scrap.

I also have recipes for blackpowder I plan to try out.

If my own powder works out, all I'll need are caps.

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Or a conversion to flint.:)