Eotech vs Aimpoint

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Squawk, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I just sent my Vortex Strikefire back to Vortex for the 3rd and final time. The red dot will not turn on. It is the third time I have sent it back for this issue.

Time to pony up some cash and get a high quality red dot sight. I am having trouble decidng between EOtech and Aimpoint. Any advice?

I am looking the EOTech HHS I/II or the Aimpoint Comp M4/M4s w/ magnifier. Anyone have any experience with these? Durability and reliability being my main concern.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The Aimpoint will be the most durable and have the longest battery life. I like EOTechs for the reticle and I don't dive with my rifle and found a cheap price on the EOTech when I bought it. Since then Aimpoint has come out with their PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic), that features a lot of the things that make Aimpoint great without all of the options that the military wanted. So, if you don't need to take it below 30 feet of water, and don't need night vision settings, it can be pretty affoardable and is still tough as nails.

4. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I was looking the Aimpoint PRO and for the price, doesn't look like it can be beat. If I put a 3x magnifier on either a Aimpoint or EOTech, what would be my max range to shoot steel Silhouette or 12 inch circle targets?

Also considering a Nikon M223. I'm done with Vortex.

5. rab

rab New Member

I put a 5x magnifier on a LaRue , flipper. It's not a 10x scope, but does a really good imitation. Roxienow.jpg

6. rab

rab New Member

Changing the brightness of the dot, can overcome most problems with EOTech's. I've had my 516 for several years now, and only need a scope for accuracy tests(smallest groups). Yeah, the hardest part was getting used to looking at the world through the EOtech "mask. This set-up is a little heavy, but it's truly worth every ounce!

7. JustMDM

JustMDM New Member

Sorry but IMO eotechs are over priced and blurry(the reticle if you want to get techy). Ended up trading mine in for a scope. Also I enjoy my Millet scope way more than I did my eotech.

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I have an Eotech XPS and an Aimpoint PRO. I love em both and use them for diffrent things. Have an eotech on my saiga and the pro on my ar. Like someone stated before eotech is good for close rang, Aimpoint can be used dor it as well but imo they work better with magnifiers. I have both,and will keep both for a long time.

ForumRunner_20121118_191309.jpg

ForumRunner_20121118_191321.jpg

ForumRunner_20121118_191330.jpg

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Attached Files:

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Aimpoint is more durable and has much longer battery life.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Really? .....

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yes. Aimpoints are tougher and longer battery life. By a lot.

My wife has a aimpoint pro on her rifle its been in the on position for months. She doesnt turn it off.

My issue with dot sights is they are about the same as iron sights up close and irons are better at any real distance. Its just easier to teach a novice to use a dot sight than a good set of irons

13. rab

rab New Member

Well, to answer all the questions........... If the reticle of an EOtech is blurry,, it probably mean it's past time to get your eyes checked. I went down this road. patterns now are clear and well defined. The reason Aimpionts have good battery life, all they project is one dot! Eotech's generate an entire reticle. It takes time to learn what part to use for where.Yes, different parts of the reticle are for distance, close up, mid-range etc.. It takes time to learn this alone, however having some more experienced friends is a blessing.

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Exactly, thats why i use it for my shotty. Buck, bird, and slugs its perfect

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Yes, really.

Aimpoint battery life is measured in YEARS of continuous use.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Go with the PRO!

17. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I love the Aim-point, I used one while I was in the service, and it served me well. Other squadrons used the Eo-tech and they liked them ok, but battery life was not as long as the aimpoint, plus the whole unit takes up more space on the gun. Battery life is crazy on the aim point, I changed the battery in mine when I first got it and never had to change it again for my whole enlistment! And we used them everyday! Also they hold a zero really well, we really put ours throught the test and it didnt lose zero. When I get the money I will be getting a aim point for my colt. Until then I have a cheap red dot.

18. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

The EOtech vs the Aimpoint as someone mentioned earlier I believe is really what you want to do with it & yes the EOtech does more then just project a dot you can do a lot more with it(which is one reason why many SF members swear by it!! As a matter of fact I've never seen otherwise

19. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

The Aimpoint may outlast the battery life if that's what you are going for I prefer the HWS better then the Red dot on my personal weapon my service issued one works good but I'd rather the EOtech tho

20. Yunus

Yunus New Member

The reason I prefer the Eotech is the ease of getting to a consistent brightness, the Eotechs I have used separate buttons for brigther and dimmer. The Aimpoint has a knob that slightly clicks into place and the ones I have used are heavily used by the Military for training and the clicks are almost non-existent, it's hard to get back to a consistent brightness level.