Eotech Clones

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by frankp0575, Mar 15, 2012.

1. frankp0575

frankp0575 New Member

Hey everyone,
    I have come across some really good looking Eotech clones pretty cheap. I have doubts though... I know i am going to put it on a rimfire, which has very little recoil. Recoil is what usually knocks the zero out of a scope. I really want to give it a try, does anyone have any experience with these?

2. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

I had one that I put on my AR. It was easy to zero. I shot another 200 rounds, didn't lose my zero. A week later, I shot another 500 rounds, with no change to my zero. The only issue I had, I left the batteries (AA) in and they got corroded (and no amount of cleaning got it to work again).

3. frankp0575

frankp0575 New Member

Good news!! And I am thinking that most reasonably priced scopes and optics come from China anyway... I am giving it a shot..
    Eotech and Aimpoint are so darn expensive because they are made here in the US!

4. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I guess I don't understand why you would want a fake that LOOKS like a real optic, when you can buy less expensive brands that are made for REAL guns.

I would advise you to look at bushnell or sun optics. They both make an ACOG look-alike that is a real gunsight.

Just my .02

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would look for a cheaper American made sight. Why support China ? By the way I would be careful ordering cheap look-alikes from China you might get nailed for buying a counterfeit. Customs is cracking down and your sight may not make it through. How much would you save at that point?

6. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Most of those eotec and trijicon clones are sold as airsoft accessories by the retailers and even some honorable Chinese distributors. I also agree that there is a big difference from a Chinese knock off (zero quality control cause they're ripping someone off anyway) and an optic made in china for an real company (at least some QC because there's a real company accountable for the product)

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Where do you suggest finding one :confused:

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Cheaper than dirt or optics planet may have something that will suffice. They both have websites. Midway USA has an AR-15 red dot for $140 without dealer discount. Just an example

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

No,They are expensive because they are good optics,and work in some terrible conditions.

If you like cheap optics,Knock yourself out buying and replacing them often when they break after a couple months of use.
    You'll be a lot better off,saving up your money and buying a quality optic first off.
    Like Mrm14 say's-Buy once,Cry once!

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It is hard to beat an eotech. Multiple reticles and colors,night vision,durable. But many people do seem to have a hard time spending the money on them. This is the second person in a week that I have delt with that wanted an eotech but didn't want to spend the money.

11. frankp0575

frankp0575 New Member

Just to be clear... It is not that I wouldn't want to support American Made, nor I am simply looking for a "clone" of an Eotech. The problem is, Eotech is much to expensive... If I was to go to war, Ok, I am buying one.... Otherwise I don't need all the bells and whistles.. I have an Aim Sports 4x32 ACOG, it is perfect... Zeroed once.. Still perfect after thousands of rounds.... Guess where that one was made? Yep CHINA.....

Look around, everything is made in China..... Bushnell is too..
    As far as I can see, there are a ton of "American" optics, being manufactured in China...
    Just because they come from an American company, doesn't mean crap..

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I have one of the knock off brands and it has multiple reticles and colors, as long as I don't change the color or reticle it doesn't lose zero on my .22. Why pay hundreds for something when a cheap knock off meets the need identically.

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

My response wasn't in reference to where they were made. Mine was advising against knock-off "optics", that are in essence a toy, for toy "guns". I dont understand why someone would want something that said eotech on it, if it was not an eotech. Take it for what it's worth. You're the one who'll be living with the choice, anyway.

14. frankp0575

frankp0575 New Member

I understand what you are saying... But what I'm saying is if it works and holds it's zero, who really cares! you pay $600 and I will pay $80... we both hit our targets at the range and have fun (cause that's all I'm doing with it) no harm no foul.... I'm not going to run around telling people I have a real eotech...

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I guess I misunderstood you then. I thought you were talking about fake eotechs...like you find on eBay. They are mainly geared toward looking right, rather than actually functioning.

$80 will buy a decent optic for range use, for sure. Many brands make one.

At one time, you could find eotechs for around $400, so don't let anyone lead you to believe you need $600.

16. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Ummm, and they are built to be used and abused. Just watch the Daniel Defense video with them abusing an Aimpoint T-1. Unbelievable what it can endure. I want to be able to rely on my optic, not wonder if a slight drop knocked it out of zero. Granted many can't spend $600 on an optic and that is fine, but get something with a good track record.

I've had the fake EOtech before on an airsoft rifle, for that it worked fine, but if i've seen them break if a bb hit the "glass". Also, battery power is totally different. I know my Aimpoint has a claimed battery life of 5 years left on! That is pretty damn impressive. I've had batteries in the fake EOtech go down after a week.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  17. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

It all comes down to the firearms primary use. If its not a SHTF weapon, sure throw whatever cheapo sight on it. It'll just be an "aw shucks" moment at the range if it fails. Betting your life is exactly that and a completely different priority set when it comes to optics.

18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

That's pretty much the size of it, yep.

19. frankp0575

frankp0575 New Member

Yes they are! I saw a video on an Aimpoint being dropped like 30 feet out of a helecopter, (may be the video youre speaking of) very impressive. If I was staking my life on it, i would spend whatever i needed to in order to know my optic is gonna work. But i'm not so an $80 one will keep me happy plinking!