Eotech and Fixed SIghts QUestion

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ar15noob, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

Does anyone have suggestions or thoughts on using an Eotech 512 with fixed front sights? Does it defeat the purpose?

2. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

No, most of us have front and rear sights that are fixed or pop up, as well as an eotech or other optic.

It's called co-witness and it is a good thing..

3. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I've not used an Eotech or holographic site but I've played Battlefield 3 and the holo sights line up with the fixed front site.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Great game. I wonder how many times I've taken your dogtags. Lmfao

5. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

And I wonder how many times I've shot down your jet, taken out your tank or jeep, or helicopter with my jet. I love flying.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Nice. I can't so much as keep a chopper airborne

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

You two should try Operation Raccoon City. That game is a blast.

8. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I have 6 service stars for the jets...

I would play the new resident evil but any $60 I have extra goes to the AR.

9. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Understood. RE is my 'at home range' game. Played all of them and have a ball. Most fun shooter would have to have been Mag.

10. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I'm an Xbox guy. But MAG would be better if they would have done something different with the PS3 controller. I have a PS3 but won't play shooters on it. Battlefield 3 is my "at home range."

11. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Reasonable. I have been a PS guy since the first system. Plus, obviously, blasting zombies is always fun. MAG was just fun because it was bite size missions.

12. southernfirepower

southernfirepower New Member

Yes if it's zeroed then the dot sits on the sight post. But personally I don't see why you would want to cowitness. The only reson I would want to be looking at my irons thought my optics is because it's broken or out of batteries. Other than that I feel cow witnessing a perfectly operating optic only limits the field of view of the optic

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Back on topic.

Most do use and would highly recommend running some sort of back-up sights w/ a RDS and even magnified optics.

14. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

Thanks. After about a month of being on the forum I have learned allot and will be going out to purchase a S&W compliant, as I live in the great state of CT (to be read sarcastically of course) with EOTech 512 and magpul flip sights. I know and would want to build it but wanted to get my first AR under my belt, pour a few hundred, I mean a few thousand, rounds through it and then with my experience, AR number two will be on me to build.

15. southernfirepower

Very try even though you have optics on. Always have back ups

16. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Your going to spend as much on sights/optics as you do your rifle?

Good lad!!

17. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

I had a $1000 limit on purchase #1, so I tried to find the overall best compromise of brand, characteristics and things that I wanted before building #2 on my own with EVERYTHING I wanted exactly. I did not want to cheap out just for price sake as that would be throwing good money out the window for sure. So the S&W purchase fit the most criteria, allowing me to come close, if not a little over budget, to get the sights as well. Tally Ho and let the plinking games begin!!!

18. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

If I had a $1000 budget for optics I'd be going with a trijicon. But the Eotechs are really nice too. I just like the magnification on the trijicon and fact you don't have a use batteries.

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You answered your own question. That's why they're called "back up" sights. to provide a back up if the optical sight is damaged or fails.

20. southernfirepower

I was making a statement. there is people that co-witness while their optics are working fine. I find it weird that people would use both the red dot and irons at the same time. The reason i mentioned that was because I was under the impression that the op had a rifle with the triangular fixed front sight post