Enhanced carry question

Discussion in 'Mississippi Gun Forum' started by jack80, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jack80

jack80 New Member

I recently went to get my concealed carry permit and I asked the trooper about the enhanced carry permit. He said there was no such thing.
    I've read about it and from what I can gather I have to go take a class then bring my certificate to the DMV and they'll give me a sticker that goes on my license. Is that correct?
    Also, what are some places I would be able to carry with enhanced that I couldn't without? I'm still not clear on that

2. Colby

Colby New Member

"Enhanced carry"?
    What does that mean?

3. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Where are you? It varies state to state, and in some states by county.

I'm in Idaho, and ours will be changing over the next year. Currently there is no formal training requirement. Which means that very few states recognize our concealed weapons permits.

The legislature just passed a new law, establishing an enhanced version that includes a training requirement. Which, something like 39 states will recognize.

We will soon have two permits, the one we have had for years, that just requires a background test, and the enhanced one that requires proof of training and a range session.

4. jack80

jack80 New Member

5. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

Yes, please say what state you live in--and what you mean by "Enhanced carry"

here in Ohio, theres only 1 carry permit. period. no point in putting a sticker on your license. when the officer pulls you over and runs your tags, he finds out who the vehicle is registered to, and if the registered owner of the vehicle has a CCW, then that also comes up. He knows you have a permit before he even approaches the car. but we still have a requirement to inform/notify him that we are licensed and carrying -- afterall, you could be driving a friends car, a rental car if yours is in for repairs, or if you're driving a spouses vehicle. that requirement to notify is fulfilled by handing the officer your permit card with your DL, and informing him that you are currently carrying.

but I have no idea what you mean by "enhanced carry"

6. Donn

Donn Active Member

You're referring to taking extra training and being allowed to carry in places normally deemed No Gun Zones. We had a bill like that here in Michigan. It passed the House and Senate, but the Governor vetoed it in the aftermath of Newtown.

7. jack80

jack80 New Member

I guess I should have put the state in the title, I thought this was the Mississippi forum though. But that's where I'm from, Mississippi.
    From what I can gather, see link on previous comment, it's an endorsement you get on your permit to allow you to carry more places that you normally couldn't carry. I was just seeing if anyone has any examples of what type places that would be and if anyone else has got there's in Mississippi

8. jack80

jack80 New Member

Yeah that's right. Just tryin to get more info on it

9. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

Yea, I just realized that. that's what I get for browsing the forum by viewing new posts only....I sometimes don't pay attention to what forum the posts are actually in before asking said question!

In Ohio, there's only one kind of carry, and all the normal places are off limits no matter what.

...unless your an LEO, then you can carry into those "off limits places"

10. jack80

jack80 New Member

Anyone?

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't have one, but it is my understanding that you will basically be able to carry anywhere except a courthouse or police station or federal building. It is also my understanding that this is a big part of the class you take.

My brother in law has signed up for the class to change his regular carry permit to the "enhanced" permit. I found out the class will be taught by a local police officer here who is also a veteran of the war in afcrapistan, a good guy.

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/firearms...hanced-permit-certified-firearms-instructors/

Call one of those guys on the list for some more reliable info on the enhanced permit and to schedule a class if you want it (geographically listed).

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf Has a bit of a description and a quote for the "enhanced" law.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/

BTW, many people miss the part about this being the Mississippi section of the forum, myself included, when they view by newest post rather than by forum section.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  12. jack80

jack80 New Member

Thanks! Very good info. I just wasn't sure how big of a difference it would make to get it. Sounds like it'll be worth it, if for anything just a little extra training never hurts. Might learn something

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Until my BIL told me who his instructor was to be, i wondered about the value of the classes, but his instructor is a really knowledgable veteran and a fine officer, IMO.

I have been delaying but will probably do the class and permit this summer.

The ability to carry legally and permit-free in my car has been very comforting. I keep a pistol in the car and use a lockbox attached to the car when i get out of the car.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  14. jack80

jack80 New Member

Being able to have a gun in your car pretty much saved my dads life. It's very nice being able to do that.
    I just decided to get my permit because you never know when you'll need it and I'd rather have it and not need it then the other way around.
    A friend of mine posted on FB about open carry being legal in MS soon. Haven't heard a whole lot more on it though

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I haven't heard that lately. On the books, it seems like open carry is legal, but in practice, Judges have held that you would need to have an invisible holster such that no part of the firearm is concealed from view (so don't cover the grip with your hand), making open carry effectively illegal.

I wish the permits were for open or cocealed, just for when somebody's grip shines a bit.

I will try to remember to update this after my BIL attends his class.

16. jack80

jack80 New Member

Yeah let me know what you hear. I'm looking into it when I get home from offshore. I might line up a class for my time in

17. orangello

orangello New Member

BIL had his class and got a lot out of it. The instructor did explain that the new law would allow permit free open carry in holsters that were clearly visible. The instructor did not recommend open carry and indicated that he expects police to waste a lot of time questioning OC people after they get a complaint call.

18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Mr. RINO Gov intended to veto it before Newtown.

19. unclejoe

unclejoe New Member

enhanced carry

There is an endorsement for ms firearms permits that allows you to carry in all but three of the no carry areas listed in the regular permit rules. You must take and pass a gun class that is taught by a nra approved instructor. Most classes have 4 or so hours of class room training and then skills demonstration. The only places you cannot carry after the endorsement is law enforcement offices, jails or other internment facilities, and a courtroom that is in session. Federal buildings are also off limits as usual. After taking the course, take the certificate you get to the highway patrol office and show it to them and they will put a sticker on the back of your permit that has IC on it for instructor certified.

20. Saman

Saman New Member

In Mississippi, Enhanced carry allows you to carry in Court houses but not court rooms in session, Bars, Churches, Airport Terminals, Polling Places, School property except classrooms and Parks. I teach the classes or this addition to the Concealed Carry Law.

I am in McComb, MS

Doug