Engraving Machine recommendation

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by pomfirearms, Oct 4, 2018.

1. pomfirearms

pomfirearms New Member

Anyone have a recommendation for an Engraving Machine? I am possibly getting into low volume at home firearm manufacturing and need a way to put my business name and address on the firearms to meet ATF regs. Mostly AR lowers and possibly a polymer pistol frame. I don't really want to spend $1k or more. Last receivers I sent out were like $35 to have engraved. Thanks for any advice.

2. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

Ebay. Get the floor model New Hermes pantograph engraver. You don't need one with the motor-just the diamond drag. You can set up type to engrave your business name, but there are places that will cut a template with all your information on one plate.

If you are thinking laser engravers, you'll need a fiber laser to engrave gun metal. The cheaper CO2 lasers will not do what you need. Fiber models start at around 8 K.

3. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Can you electro-etch the information? If so, Brother make a labeler tape that would allow you do it quite inexpensively.

4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think etching will give the required depth.

5. Dan Fowler

Dan Fowler New Member

Find an old PI-2 or PI-3 Gorton Pantograph. Bought mine for $800.00.
    You'll have to search hard, they're rare. She's a 1963!

6. DHall_37

DHall_37 Member

I know they aren’t cheap but at the shop we use a CNC mill with a 1/16 Flat End Mill for some engravings.

7. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

watch many youtube reviews. not many specifically cover engraving anodized lowers, but a few do.