English

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Pasquanel, Apr 15, 2018.

1. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a lawyer commercial on TV here.

The lawyer says "Just because we speak slow doesn't mean we think slow!"

ellis

kfox75, SanchoPanza, RJF22553 and 2 others like this.
  2. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

In North Alabama in the 60s with my Yankee accent I was called a “Furrigner” I was not sure if that was a political statement or just a criticism of my poor enunciation. Probably both.

3. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife has a pretty heavy French accent. We were in a feed & seed store once with her buying horse feed...the store owner looked at her real serious and asked

"M'am, Where you from?

She replied "I'm from France."

He said: What on earth could you have done so bad they sent you to Mississippi?!

ellis

kfox75, RJF22553, SanchoPanza and 2 others like this.
  4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I know of no language that is concise.
    several of my friends speak Spanish. They tell me that if someone asks "how are ya?" it takes 150 words per minute for five minutes to answer, "I'm good. How you?"

kfox75, RJF22553, Dallas53 and 4 others like this.
  5. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

6. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

7. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Everywhere in the US people go to the beach, except in NJ. In Jersey, they go to The Shore.
    It's funny, my father was from NJ so I spent a lot of time there in my youth, and I owned a beach house there for a couple of years, so consequently, I still fall back to saying shore when I return to Jersey and say beach when I'm elsewhere. Odd.

locutus, SanchoPanza and Dallas53 like this.
  8. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

Good one Mr. Ellis! LMAO Funny! :D
    i about fell out of my chair from laughing so hard! priceless humor there! :)

RJF22553 and ellis36 like this.
  9. SanchoPanza

SanchoPanza Member

Some years back, I met some friends from Kalifornia (PRK) in New Orleans.

Those who have visited N. O. know about the street hustlers with questions like "bet I know where you got your shoes".

One of my friends is of Oriental descent.

So, he sez to one "No speaka de Engrish".

We had a large laugh after the scammer was out of sight.

boatme98 likes this.
  10. Daoust_Nat

Pasquanel are you French Canadian from Southern New Hampshire? Some years back I worked with a large equipment Fabricator in N Central MA named C&W Fabricators. There labor force was predominately French Canadian. I used to get into some spirited discussions with them on thE NHL and their beloved Montreal Canadians.

11. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Majority of you boys would be scratching your heads at the Aussie language then especially the slang side of things and not sure whether you've just been insulted or appreciated.:)

RJF22553 and boatme98 like this.
  12. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here. People not from here would struggle with the Northern Ireland accent and dialects. When i go to England they haven't a clue what i am talking about.

boatme98 likes this.
  13. Daoust_Nat

I have been able to muddle through the Irish, it is Scottish that completely befuddles me. I used to referee round football here occasionally with a Scottish gentleman. He was a good ref, had done some decent level games in Scotland, England &Wales, but we really struggled communicating. Like most of us when we get excited our rate of speech increases. I would often be lucky to get one of three words.

14. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I listened to too much Steve Earle when I was a kid so I picked up his slured words

Dallas53 likes this.
  15. hairbear1

Love the thick Scottish accent don't know why but used to get a good laugh when The Goodies did 1 of their shows and were taking the piss out of the Scottish accent.

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I only speak "Southern"!
    Some think that is a foreign language!

17. Dallas53

it's only a foreign language when you get to Yankee land! :D

boatme98 and SanchoPanza like this.
  18. Dallas53

know a guy, named Mick, that immigrated here from Australia several years ago and he went to work for a friend of ours, who owns an auto parts store. we use to make fun of Mick's Aussie accent, but he's such a cool dude, and he took it in stride. he loves American muscle cars too! the Aussie accent is so cool to listen to.

RJF22553 likes this.
  19. hairbear1

Don't worry we take the piss out of you Yanks as well. In this country if you can't take being stirred up then your in for a tough time as it's our culture to stir and be stirred something that probably dates back to the early days of Australia when the POM's landed and settlement began
    I do like Yank muscle cars for the fact that you can make big HP cheaply and some of your muscle cars are great.

If you are getting stirred by an Aussie and being called a bastard as in "Hey you bastard!" or being told to GAGF then your probably in as being close to being a mate or at least respected. If you get your hackles up while being stirred then it's like blood in the water to circling sharks.

20. Dallas53

i'll say one thing, the few Aussie's i have met over the years, all them had great senses of humor, and great personalities. very enjoyable people to be around and socialize with.

RJF22553 and boatme98 like this.