Enfield?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Trez, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting a Enfield No.I Mk.III... Comes with bayonet and ammo. Says it was made in 1917 and converted for use as a sniper during WWII, but I didnt see a scope or mount...

Anything I should be looking for? (besides the obvious common mil-surp stuff?)
    Opinions?

2. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

Almost all WW2 commonwealth snipers were No4 Mk1T rifles. Not No1Mk3 rifles. I call BS.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, buy the gun, not the story.

Would want to get a quick check of headspace and muzzle wear. The bolt design of the SMLE results in headspace getting greater and greater- until the rifle is no longer safe to shoot, has brass pulling in two, etc. Condition of the bore? Markings on the rifle?

PITCHERS MAN! WE NEEDS PITCHERS!

Would even settle for a few good photographs!

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Ok, he sent a pic... Hes thinking the holes in the handguard are filled holes for a mount... A little looking around and I discovered pretty much all the handguards have 'em.

No story, just a guy that thought it might be a ex-sniper, I dont think his price is crazy.. rifle, bayonet, and 250 rds for $250..

I havent gone to go see it yet, thats why Im asking about what I should look for.. I need the info before I go.. I got some pics but there horrible.

Cant the head-space thing be fixed? I read you just get a new bolt head?

I hear alot about this head-space thing.. If its such a problem, Why do people love Enfields so much then?

To be honest I just like how the full stock looks and the 10 rd mag.. (and I already have the dies, so why not? :p )

5. JWagner

JWagner New Member

At that price with that ammo, I would take it and hope for the best. As far as headspace goes, it can be adjjusted by getting different thickness bolt-heads. One odd thing about the Enfield bolt head is that it screws into place by rotating the bolt head. I have an Enfield with "bad" headspace that was cured by rotating the bolt-head to the proper position and re-inserting into the gun. I had the bolt out and did not realize that I had rotated it out of the proper position.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Decent price, depending on condition, and what ammo. Yes, bolt head is replaceable- you have to get longer one, sand it down to right length. On the No.4, they realized the problem, so a new gun has a 0 bolt head, and replacements are 1,2,3,and 4. NOT a scientific way to do it, but ask if he has any brass that has been fired in the rifle. SEVERE stretch marks or cracks running AROUND the case- usually about an inch above the rim- problem.

IF ammo is milsurp, you will not like the primers for reloading. If headstamp looks like TOC, that is Turk- somewhat hot (marking is TC with crescent moon and star in middle) If boxes are marked CIA, is Paki- not holding up well after years of storage. HXP is Greek- great stuff.

Want to see results of really bad headspace on a SMLE? http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/so-just-what-heck-headspace-27423/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

A pic of the Enfield
    [​IMG]

He has a German Conversion Styer M95 with bayonet as well for $200
    [​IMG]

I cant decide on the two..
    What are the pros/cons of each? Whats the "better" deal?

8. drboompa

drboompa New Member

They both seem like a good deal. I would buy either one. Or both Good price for both.

9. davemccarthy707

The SMLE is the better deal. Heck here in Canada they are still issued to Canadian Army Rangers for wildlife protection. In the No4Mk1 configuration.

10. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I agree with both if you can afford it. If you feel guilty you can always sell it later on and recoup your expenditure

11. samnev

samnev New Member

I'd get the Enfield which I think is the better deal. The M95 if converted to 8mm Mauser by the Germans is not the safest gun in the world to fire. If it it's still in the original caliber getting ammo can be a problem.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

What am I looking at to reload 8x56r? From only a quick search it looks like only Hornady makes dies for it (and there over $80!! :eek: ) Brass seems not to be the easiest to get either..

13. budman46

budman46 New Member

i agree with those that said to buy both.

if the steyr german conversion is chambered in 7.92x57 (8mm maus) rather that 8x56r, i'd consider it a very good deal. relatively common ammo and no pesky clips.

14. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

If I were only going to buy one, it would be the Enfield, but then again I am biased:)

15. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Before I go any further, I would like you guys to know... I hate you all!!!!! :mad:
    All I asked was either / or, and now I have both....

:p

Heres your Pitcher, while your waiting for me to take some Pictures..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would get the Enfield, just because.............O and Dave, do you see any No1`s in this picture ?

Attached Files:

17. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Really nice collection. But, what are the scopes for???:D:p

18. budman46

budman46 New Member

trez,

good for you getting both!:D

i missed your question on reloading for the 8x56. lee makes dies for it and i think hornady produces a j-bullet in .329", but i know guys who've had success by sizing .338" slugs to .329" with lee's cast bullet sizing dies and a good lube like imperial sizing wax.

19. davemccarthy707

:eek: Jealousy meter pegged.

I said "Almost" ;)

Here is my No 4 "Stores" rifle

[​IMG]

20. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I self gifted a No.4 MK 2 recently, and have been reading about the Enfield. I am curious to know what the "stores" reference means. I got a great shooter and the .303 is still easy to come by.