Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Please show us pictures first (of your Savage Enfield).
;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I'll see what I can do. I'm brand new to this forum and haven't quite figured out how to navigate this site. I'll get pics up ASAP.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Savage manufactured No4 MkI* lend-lease rifle.

"Sporterized". Pics are a little fuzzy--is that some kind of aftermarket sight on top
of the receiver?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BillM said:
Savage manufactured No4 MkI* lend-lease rifle.

"Sporterized". Pics are a little fuzzy--is that some kind of aftermarket sight on top
of the receiver?
I don't know if it aftermarket or not. Sorry for the bad pic. I'll try to get better pics up tomorrow.

Here's how I got the rifle. My wife and I own a tattoo shop in Minnesota. I posted an ad on Craigslist to trade tattoo work for stuff. This guy said he had an Enfield. So we traded. I got this rifle 2 days ago. Shot it before the trade. Shoots great! Just can't find any info that matches to the markings on the gun. So I figured I'd post it here.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Um, HELLO!
Some of the value is harmed by it being sporterized by they aren't particularly valuable guns to begin with. Still, it's a nice one, a good arm, and a cool piece of history right there!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I'm trying to get identification on this gun more then value. I live this gun! So I don't care if it's worth $100 or $500.

·
Administrator
26,135 Posts
Here is some reading for you. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/philqgbr/enfield.html

Born during WW 2, the Enfield No 4 Mk 1 was the standard rifle of the British Army, and replaced the SMLE that had been in use since 1907. As said, yours was made by Savage in the US. The picture on that link I posted shows what yours looked like before being "sporterized". IF you want to restore it to original configuration, check over at gunpartscorp.com for parts. MILSURP ammo is scarce, but there IS some out there.

.303 Enfield was a good caliber for military use, and has been used for everything up to moose and bear (with the right ammo). Recoil is moderate, rifle is reliable. DO have a gunsmith check the headspace- design of rifle results in headspace increasing with use- is correctable.

It is one of the fastest bolt action rifles made, and with a good barrel is adequate for man sized targets out to 500 yards or so.

Nice rifle.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Recently got a variation of an Enfield rifle. It's a .303 British. It says US PROPERTY near the breach. Can anyone tell me how to figure out if this is an Enfield, Savage, or what?

View attachment 52257

View attachment 52258

That "S" on the band denotes that it is a Stevens-Savage, Mass. made rifle.
I have a Mk.3 No.1 .303 that likes 180gn Sierra ProHunter pills and 45gns of AR2209 for a 2" group at 100yds open sighted off the bench if I can do my bit.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Geez, "US Property." He may go to jail!
Anybody tell him y it says that yet?

·
Administrator
26,135 Posts
Re the US Property markings- this was a polite fiction. OFFICIALLY, these were property of the US- and were being only LOANED to Great Britain. :rolleyes:

Loaned...... yeah, that's the ticket.... they were being LOANED to Britain, We were not making and giving guns to anyone- we were neutral- it was just a LOAN. Yeah.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts