Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by blackdouglas, Sep 20, 2012.

1. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

I've been watching this gun for about 6 months, and finally just decided I'd buy her. She only has a couple defects (except for some numbnut that put a lacquer on the wood). The bayonet mount has been ground down and the sling mount on the butt has broken off. But she's a dream to shoot! = )
    What do you think? Value and further information would also be much appreciated!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations. I really like the No. 5's.

Just strip the varnish off the stock and oil it and you'll be good to go.

Are you sure it's a real No. 5? I don't know how to check, but there are people here who do. I do know that there are a bunch of fakes around.

3. -06

-06 New Member

Just a note on Enfields. Some armory Sgt fired at 300 yds and put 100 rounds through a 1' target in just a short period of time--think he still holds the record. It was the fastest shooting bolt in the world for a long time.

4. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

I would if I knew how. Is there a good way to do it without sanding it?

It is! It has the lightning cuts, the hollowed bolt knob, and VERY faintly on the receiver it says MK1 ROF. LOL! I don't buy anything unless I can confirm it's roughly what it's supposed to be. Like I said, I had six months to do a bit of reading. Though information is scarce. Which is why I come here. = )

5. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

I know! It's lovely! LOL! Though my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. The kick left me with a pretty good bruise on my shoulder! That rubber butt pad isn't as soft as she was meant to be! LOL!

6. CA357

Yeah, the recoil pads are more appearance than useful.

As far as the wood, there's a product called "Greens" Finish Remover. It doesn't need to be deactivated with water, so it won't raise the grain of the wood. You just apply it with a brush, let it work and then wipe it off. Then you rinse off any remains with Mineral Spirits. It's what I use. I dislike sanding a stock because it can remove any cartouches and stamps. At the very least, it removes wood which I don't care to do.

If you have basic skills, you can do it easily.

7. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

Apparently! LOL!

Hmmm, I'll look into that. Walmart, Home Depot, or a specialty shop?
    And would you know if gun parts would be safe in an ultrasonic cleaner? I was a jewelers apprentice for a bit, and those things can do wonders, but I'd hate for it to damage something.......
    There is a mark on the stock I've not been able to find information on. It says BW with an S centered below. Any ideas?

8. CA357

I'm sorry, I really don't know much about Enfields at all. I know we have some experts here, but apparently they haven't found this thread yet.

9. budman46

budman46 New Member

no enfield fancier should be satisfied until he gets a no. 5, good job!

i'm a coward when it comes to factory loads in a no. 5...i mean, why didn't they ground the butt pad to a point so we could really enjoy the little bugger!:D

i shoot 170gr cast bullets @ 1800 fps out of my enfields. at that pace they're pleasant, accurate, and easy on the pocketbook.

10. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

They will eventually.
    LOL! I just try to pick stuff up here and there. But I do love it!
    Hmmm, well, I had the ability or time to do reloads, I would probably try those. = /

11. CA357

Did you get the link I PM'd you?

12. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

Yes, I did! Thank you!

13. TheMrMitch

TheMrMitch New Member

I was bidding on one at Gunbroker and lost. Sure looked like yours....HehHeh
    :D

14. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

ROF denotes it was made in Maltby U.K and the Mk.1 would probably mean it's a No.3 Mk.1 actioned rifle.Any other markings on the rifle will give you a better idea as to when and if it has been factory refurbished.

Here in Australia they're a prized rifle if in good condition an dnot butchered. They also make excellent pig rifles as they're a shorter rifle than the SMLE and with the 10 shot mag give you more firepower on a mob of pigs than any other bolt actioned rifle.

The .303 round is a very capable round and I've shot quite a few pigs with the Parker Hale .303 I used to own.
    I now own a Mk.3 No.1 SMLE that I restored and reload for but as yet haven't introduced any pigs or goats to.

If your going to shoot it try and use something around the 174gn - 180gn mark as this was what was loaded during war service(174gn),regards

15. cuate

cuate New Member

I had one of those back in about 1962 and it was a shooter ! I swapped it for an old Buick that had problems and I could kick my rear end for parting with that Jungle Carbine, it was great in all respects !

16. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

What makes you think it's the No.3?

Really now? We've got a bit of a hog problem around here as well. That's interesting.

I've been shooting some '65 Kynoch I bought for $20. 50 rounds with stripper clips.

Thank you for the information 'bear!

Oh, man, that sucks! I'm starting slow, but I'm trying to put together a display of WWII weapons. What I'm buying, I hope my great-great-great grandkids will get and appreciate. I plan on having a wall with family photo's and lists of the theatres/campaigns they were involved in.

17. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

It may also be more than likely a No.4 action now that I've checked up on it. It should have stamped on it somewhere possibly on the band around the stock just behind the trigger guard possibly the date and action number.

When you use ex military ammo make sure after use that you pour boiling hot water down the barrel as a lot of that military stuff used mercuric primers and when they ignite they leave a type of salt behind that's very corrosive if not cleaned after use and boiling hot water poured down the barrel will neutralise this acid type salt.

After doing this let the barrel dry and then proceed to clean as normal.
    With open sights on my SMLE(heavy barrel) and handloads I can get 2" groups at 100yds off the bench if I do my bit so you should be able to do something similar,regards

18. budman46

budman46 New Member

blackdouglas,
    your pics make me think your no.5 is legit...hollowed out bolt knob and proper-looking ladder sight with yardage above 800 faced off. mine is marked:
    no5mk1 rof(f) on the side opposite the bolt.

an easy way to tell if it's a no.5 is to look at the metal on the underside in front of the magazine...on a no.4 it tapers to the screw hole, on the no.5, they scalloped out metal on each side to save a bit of weight.

hairbear,
    fyi, 20th century corrosive primers are chlorate, not mercuric based. on firing, hygroscopic potassium chloride (similar to table salt) residue is deposited in the bore, attracting moisture and promoting corrosion.

chlorate primers don't deteriorate over time...they'll work no matter what, which is why the russians still use them for military applications

mercuric priming was common during black-powder days, no so much after the 19th century ended.

19. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

Thanks budman, I am 100% positive it's a true, pure No. 5. I'd just like more HISTORICAL information about it. I like building little files about my stuff, and I've found that people on here tend to have more information than most books. When they know what they're actually talking about.....

I wish we could post videos. I managed to talk my girlfriend into shooting it, and I have it on video of it almost knocking her on her butt! It was hilarious!!!!

20. budman46

budman46 New Member

blackdouglas,

you're right about the knowledge handy on forums. books have the info, but it's lots easier to search the web.

shame on you for the girlfriend trick; sometime they become wives...wives have long memories!:D