Enfield no1 mk3

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by warhammer, Mar 14, 2013.

1. warhammer

warhammer New Member

Just purchased one from a friend that has matching numbers, also found some .303 British ammo. Really cool gun, can anyone give me some opinions on there's?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, they are really badly inaccurate, unreliable, slow to fire, and unsafe. Box it up, send it to me, I'll dispose of it- no charge- 'cause I'm just that kind of a guy.

:D

IMHO, one of the greatest battle rifles ever crafted. Here's mine-

rifles 003.jpg

You will be sorry you did not get one LONG ago, when MILSURP ammo was cheap and plentiful.

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Love the Enfield, I have several, I am going out on a limb & saying, best bolt action battle rifle ever...............

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have a couple that have had sporterised stocks installed. I'd love to put the OEM stocks on them. They are very good shooters. I'd love to get hold of one of the jungle carbines in 308 :)

Ammo was still pretty cheap for them online last I looked.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Junkie- trust me- no, you would not.

The Jungle Carbine was in .303, and was still unpleasant to shoot.

The Ishapore rifle (the 2A1 if I remember) may LOOK like a SMLE, but it is NOT- different steel, different design. Was not a conversion, but was purpose built in 7.62 NATO- which is still not .308 Winchester.

Any .303 that has been CONVERTED to .308.............

SAAMI design specs- MAX chamber pressures

.303 49,000 psi
    .308 62,000 psi

21% percent higher pressures. Ungood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishapore_2A1_rifle

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Better than a Mosin.... Not as nice as a M1903..... :)

I havent really shot mine yet... I cant find any brass... :(

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I made a Rambo student tear up twice in both a rifle class and the pistol class he next took with me. The first time was firing a .303 No. 1 Mk III. No prob. Then I gave him a No. 5 jungle carbine. The 50-year old rubber was harder than his head and when he shot it next as my demonstrator for the class it was so surprising, painful, and made embarrassing that a tear came to his eye. Hee hee.

And the ball-n-dummy exercise I used Mr. Rambo for in pistol? Well, it was just made super embarassing to him by me again and the dummy almost balled for his audience.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  9. TLuker

TLuker New Member

The term "they don't make them like that anymore" really applies here. A .303 won't win many beauty contests but it will fill the freezer with venison. It's my favorite rifle. It's a pleasure to shoot, capable of great accuracy with a little work, and it has one of the smoothest bolts ever made (if not the smoothest).

My dad got a new pretty rifle and gave me his when I was 16 for deer hunting. He said years later that's when I started killing deer and he stopped. There's no drama with a .303. You shoot the deer and you put the deer on the truck, every time.:)

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You got that right......................

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  11. MikeInVegas

MikeInVegas New Member

Love mine. First milsurp rifle I ever bought. Still one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

12. mrmac

mrmac New Member

I also love my 303 enfield. Took a while to find a good one. They are either junk or expensive, I was lucky to find one in good shape for a reasonable price.

13. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

I have a #4 mk2 which I love but it is heavy.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

IMHO, it is superior to the 1903.

the K98 and 1903 have better inherent accuracy, but since the accuracy oif the SMLE is more than adequate for a battle rifle that is irrelevant.

The SMLE action is smoother and faster, taking advantage of it's superior ten round magazine.

As a basis for a custom sporter, both the 98 and 1903 platforms beat out the SMLE.,

But for what all three were originally designed for, i.e. battle rifles, the SMLE stands head and shoulders above the other two.

15. Texgunner

Texgunner New Member

I have two Enfields. A No. 1 Mk III and a No. 4 Mk 1. They're really great rifles.

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Really? I seem to remember reading that the British and their Enfields were getting beaten by the Boers and their Mausers.. If it wasnt for WWII the Brits going to drop the use of the Enfields in favor of the Mauser-derived P14.

In my collection my 1903 is my nicest rifle, nothing else in my even comes close to how accurate it is, how smooth and easy the bolt/trigger operates, it even "feels" good..
    Its made me a bit of a gun snob. :p
    (And I dont have to worry about losing headspace like my Enfield.. :rolleyes: )

Im not saying my Enfield is a bad rifle, its just not as nice as my '03. Ill give it the advantage of the 10 rd. mag but thats about it and you still have to load that with 5 rd. clips. Everything Ive seen or read says that the Brit solder only got one mag, because the mags were fitted to the rifle and only removed for cleaning. I really dont see the point of having detachable mags if you only get one anyways....

17. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Love mine, #1 mk3. It's as good as my 1903, head and shoulders above a nagant, and on par with most mausers(surplus). That said, I have commercial scope mounts on it and a Leopold 3x9 mounted low over the bore. Deer killing machine :p

PS handloads really make this rifle shine. Hornady 123 grain vmax at 2650 fps are a groundhogs worst nightmare at 300 yards.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

U.S. makers made a ton of P-14s for the Brits. Troops didn't like 'em very much. afterWW1, they modded the old SMLE into the No.4 Mk1 for WW2.

They used 'em against the Kraut's 98 Mausers in France in WW1 and did some serious arse kicking with 'em. Did some more of that in WW2.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  19. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Off topic but anyone know where I can get a forend for a #1 mk 3. Surplus/takeoff would be fine. Willing to trade plastic sportster stock that's on it now.

I would love to return the old girl to the proper shape.

20. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Try Enfield-rifles.com a forum or IMA antiques.
    Or google your rifle. Parts are available.