Enfield No.4 Mk1

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JonM, May 26, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

picked up this Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk1 today at a new gunshop up in milwaukee. it was a consignment sale amongst 4 or 5 non-german mausers. cost was 225$ couldnt resist since it appears to me to be un-fkd with sample that did not appear to be re-arsenaled due to the patina. but im not even close to an enfield expert. it just looked right cept for the relief cuts in the upper rear handguard.

[​IMG]

one thing that i noticed is it isnt as smooth to cycle as the 1903 springfields or mosin 91/30s. but i really like that detachable 10 round clip heh.

[​IMG]

its got several numbers and markings that i havent a clue about including a number under the wood handguard on the barrel that matches the one on the rear of the reciever behind the trigger

[​IMG]

the first letter there is a "E"

[​IMG]

the trigger is quite good very crisp pretty light with no detectable creep. its currently about as filthy as any war rifle i have ever come across. prolly been sitting in a closet for a couple of decades.

hopefully the bore is good as its too dirty to really tell.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Good deal any more, Jon. The handguard is correct. Some were grooved, some were not.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congrats. Now clean it, shoot it and give us a report. :D

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks im glad thats normal. its a 6/43 make according to the reciever

oh i will it takes me about 2-3 weeks for a deep clean on these old rifles. most of the ones ive bought have been severely copper fouled.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

2 groove barrel?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

looks to be a 2 groove been reading more about em and the wartime no4 were 2 grooves. but its hard to tell its got that much lint in the bore

7. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Most were two groove. Some 4 groove and 5 groove, too, IIRC.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

9. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks ill check the sk ones

11. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I went with the Weaver, but would do the proprietary S&K if doing it again. Mounts lower to the bore.

12. m72law

m72law New Member

sarcoinc.com have the #4 MKIT org. repo scope mounts for 150bucks...not to bad of price for a clone set up

to bad i missed out on #4 MK (T) org. enfield sniper on G-broker a while back it...it sold for 450.00 bucks:eek:

I didnt know they were worth so much,or i would had placed a lil better max bid

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

im looking for a no drill/tap mount i dont like the idea of buggering up a historic rifle.

from what ive read about ww2 era snipers they really werent anything special just hand picked off the line then drilled for a scope mount. if im not mistaken the svd druganov was the first purpose designed sniper rifle rather than a battle rifle pressed into sniper service.

450 woulda been a good deal on it.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Actually, the No4Mk1(T) rifles were chosen off the No4Mk1 line for their accuracy. THEN, they were sent to Holland & Holland to be re-barrelled with heavy match barrels, accurized, had the mounts hand fitted, and the scopes dialed in. They were designed to work with issue ball, and did not have match rounds loaded for them.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Started cleaning it the bore is a little dark with darkness in the grooves much worse looking than my garand and mosins. I cant see any pitting. But no copper fouling just dirt with some surface rust.

16. group17

group17 New Member

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

is that yours?? cuz its like half the cost of the sk mount.

18. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

JonM
    I have a No4 Mk1 manufactured by Savage, very smooth action but heavy trigger. Is it possible that yours had a trigger job done?
    Very accurate rifle but needs carefully reloaded rounds to do it justice.
    Any photos and more info on manufacturing company and year?
    Does it by any chance have a stamp on the left side refering to "US Property"?

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

mine is english make its not a us/canadian according to its markings. i take it to understand that the ROF (F) after the no4Mk1 means Royal Ordanance Factory Fazakerley. it doesnt have any rebuild markings.

its possible its had a trigger stoning at some point. when i take it apart for its first deep cleaning ill take pics of the barrel markings under the wood

20. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You may want to try a Huber trigger. I put one in my Eddystone and the improvement is almost unbelievable. Link: Lee Enfield SMLE